PDA

View Full Version : Improving chart quality

cjr
07 August 2005, 09:58 AM
Hi,

Reunion's charts are slightly poor in a couple of ways:

1) the box shadows are hard-edged and separated from the boxes by a white line,

2) the ends of the connecting lines are drawn over the boxes,

3) the diagonal connecting lines (eg marriages) are wider that the horizontal and vertical ones (a square pen's being used, I think)

Nothing too serious, but it would be nice to be able to move Reunion's charts into a graphics package and tweak them there.

Therein lies the rub! It seems quite hard to get them into something like OmniGraffle (my favourite drawing tool) and be editable.

How do other folks tweak their Reunion charts?

Cheers,

Chris

David G. Kanter
07 August 2005, 12:02 PM
. . .How do other folks tweak their Reunion charts?All the tweaking I have needed has been handled within Reunion using the Chart Editor functions. (See Manual's Table of Contents->Editing Chart Objects.)

While I defer to someone with far-better graphics-related skills than I have to reply more fully to the three issues Chris raised and I appreciate that I likely haven't drawn the same chart with the same objects as Chris has, FWIW, my comments on those issues are as follows. (I have a 15" TiPB at resolution 1280x854 and used a 300% display scaling of the chart within Reunion to look for them.)
1) Box Shadows: The style of the shadow edge has not been a concern for me and I don't notice any white space separating the shadow from its box.
2) Ends of Connecting Lines Drawn Over Box: With one exception (see next comment), all the ends come up to, but don't overlap box's frame line.
3) Width of Diagonal Connecting Line: I took this to be what Reunion calls the angled line that connects parents in a Relative Chart. If the line widths are set the same in a chart's Tree->Lines, the widths appear to me to be the same. Note the angled end of these lines does intrude a very small bit into the box, but at 100% (or lower) display scaling it's not noticeable to me--and it hasn't been an issue for me on any of the printouts I've made (or had made for me) at such scaling.

ttl
07 August 2005, 02:42 PM
Nothing too serious, but it would be nice to be able to move Reunion's charts into a graphics package and tweak them there.

Therein lies the rub! It seems quite hard to get them into something like OmniGraffle (my favourite drawing tool) and be editable.

How do other folks tweak their Reunion charts?

I tweak my charts in the Reunion chart editor. Nothing else comes close to its power to do manipulation of the tree itself, and most other drawing functions are solid in their implementation.

However, to edit a chart in a drawing (vector graphics) program should be as simple as selecting Edit-->Copy-->Chart with Frame in the chart editor and then pasting it into an open drawing document. It works well with AppleWorks and Illustrator, although you have to pay attention to setting up the size of the blank document to match the size of the chart. One thing you'll find is that everything in the chart is an individual object, to include every single line segment.

cjr
07 August 2005, 03:44 PM
All the tweaking I have needed has been handled within Reunion using the Chart Editor functions. (See Manual's Table of Contents->Editing Chart Objects.)I was afraid of this answer :-)

Reunion is a fine genealogy program, but less good than a dedicated graphics package. Which is fine by me.1) Box Shadows: The style of the shadow edge has not been a concern for me and I don't notice any white space separating the shadow from its box.That's right; they only appear when you print. Try printing to PDF and opening the thing in Preview.3) Width of Diagonal Connecting Line: I took this to be what Reunion calls the angled line that connects parents in a Relative Chart.That's right.

Oh well, it looks like I'm being overly picky.

Cheers,

Chris

cjr
07 August 2005, 03:51 PM
However, to edit a chart in a drawing (vector graphics) program should be as simple as selecting Edit-->Copy-->Chart with Frame in the chart editor and then pasting it into an open drawing document. It works well with AppleWorks and IllustratorI tried with Illustrator, and it sort of worked except Illustrator got bogged down. I only had 350 or so people in the chart, and my machine's a 1.67GHz Powerbook, for goodness's sake. Perhaps I need more patience!

The problem I had with Omnigraffle is that the pasted in chart became a single indivisble object. Nice looking, but not editable.although you have to pay attention to setting up the size of the blank document to match the size of the chart. One thing you'll find is that everything in the chart is an individual object, to include every single line segment.Yes. With 350-odd people, and obviously a proportional number of lines, Illustrator really wasn't usable.

Cheers,

Chris

ttl
07 August 2005, 04:47 PM
The problem I had with Omnigraffle is that the pasted in chart became a single indivisble object. Nice looking, but not editable. The objects might have gotten grouped. Have you tried ungrouping them?

ttl
07 August 2005, 04:55 PM
1) the box shadows are hard-edged and separated from the boxes by a white line,
Regarding the white line, do you happen to have the line width for the boxes set to None?

David G. Kanter
07 August 2005, 06:11 PM
. . .[The white line between the box and the shadow] only appear when you print. Try printing to PDF and opening the thing in Preview.Yes; it's there for me, too, when working with PDF

cjr
08 August 2005, 06:08 PM
The objects might have gotten grouped. Have you tried ungrouping them?The ungroup menu item was disabled. The selection inspector suggested the whole imported "thing" was a single object...

Cheers,

Chris

cjr
08 August 2005, 06:11 PM
Regarding the white line, do you happen to have the line width for the boxes set to None?No, everything's default. In other words:

Box line width = 1/2
Box line colour = black

Shadow line width = 3pt
Shadow line colour = grey

Line width = 1pt
Line colour = (varies)
Line style = solid

I wonder what "1/2" means!

Cheers,

Chris

cjr
08 August 2005, 06:17 PM
[QUOTE=David G. Kanter]Yes; it's there for me, too, when working with PDF

David G. Kanter
08 August 2005, 07:09 PM
Can you now see the lines overlapping the boxes, btw?Yes, but I have to zoom in many times for that to be clearly visible in the PDF. At what is the normal display (or even with a few zoom-ins) in Preview, the end-of-line intrusion is not even close to being an issue for me. (By time I've zoomed in enough for it to be readily recognized, the data boxes have become so "huge" that they are far beyond the level at which I'd view or print the chart.)