PDA

View Full Version : Gedcom

Derek
06 August 2005, 11:36 AM
I have received a gedcom from a relative and I want to know how to incorporate it into my tree. Can I load it into my tree or must I just copy it in manually?

Mary Arthur
06 August 2005, 01:08 PM
I have received a gedcom from a relative and I want to know how to incorporate it into my tree. Can I load it into my tree or must I just copy it in manually?

You can just import it into your file, but you SHOULD open a NEW family file and import it, look at the information, compare it to your family file and then decide if you wish to import it all into your own file. If you do decide to import the gedcom, be sure to indicate a source for it.

I personally recommend printing a register report of the information and entering it all by typing it yourself, as you will become familar with the information and be able to make connections that the program may not be able to. Also, the information from your relative may be quite differently formated than the way you enter the information, which, in the long run can be corrected but in the interm, can be quite frustrating.

You can search Reunion Talk for other discussions (above - Search).

fjvanbodegom
06 August 2005, 01:12 PM
ALWAYS, be very care carefully. NEVER import a Gedcom file in your existing family file
Do NOT incorporate this Gedcom in your family file before you are sure about the content.
First, make a NEW family file (perhaps better make a clone of your existing file) and import the Gedcom in that empty file.
Look carefully at the content, used fields, look for duplicates with your own family file, look for typo's and inconsistency, mistakes etc etc.
When you are more than 100% sure about the content etc, and may be after corrections, then think of importing this file in your own family file.
You can mark the persons you want to import of import the whole (checked) file.
Second, UNmark all persons in your existing file.
But ... make a copy BEFORE import anything
Then (in your own file) Import -> Family File and choose All People of Marked People and choose all the checks you want (logs, sources etc)
Automatic Flag, set on Marked (or make a new flag, Imported xx/yy/zz)
Import the new family file.

Now you can fiddle with it, use the Match & Merge People etc.
But .... make ALWAYS a copy BEFORE you start with this excercise.