PDA

View Full Version : Church in Kilkenny, Ireland

Cormac
10 June 2009, 12:40 AM
This is the text of an e-mail that a cousin got from her father. It was a news flash for me.

>My great grandfathers community was Kilkenny which is south of Dublin. The
church had some walls standing but mostly was in ruins. There was grass
growing in the sanctuary area and it was somewhat difficult to identify the
ruins as a Church. A local person knew of the Church and directed me to the
site. The Church is located on the north side of the city and the west side
of the road.

What I knew before this e-mail is that the

Sara
10 June 2009, 07:37 PM
Have you tried using the Rootsweb Message Boards or Mailing Lists? I find them invaluable.

cassie kilroy thompson
10 June 2009, 09:21 PM
Although this message has nothing to do with Reunion, I thought that I would point Cormac in the direction of an email group called Y-IRL at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Y-IRL/ and the list owner Jane Lyons whose website is http://www.from-ireland.net/ where she has put up quite a bit of Kilkenny information, including cemetery photographs. The email group runs more like a large family (2,000 people) who occasionally talk about genealogy but everyone is very helpful, so join us there?
-------------
from Cormac: What I have done so far is that I know someone in Kilkenny that could help me out. I have also tried to contact this cousin's father, but according to her, her dad travels a lot and isn't online too often. I have also tried to find sources on the Internet about church ruins in the Kilkenny area. I have found some maps of the area.

Short of what I have done so far and awaiting contact with this cousin's father, is there anything else that I could do?

Cormac
12 June 2009, 02:08 AM
This is the text of an e-mail that a cousin got from her father. It was a news flash for me.

>My great grandfathers community was Kilkenny which is south of Dublin. The
church had some walls standing but mostly was in ruins. There was grass
growing in the sanctuary area and it was somewhat difficult to identify the
ruins as a Church. A local person knew of the Church and directed me to the
site. The Church is located on the north side of the city and the west side
of the road.

>But when he was in Ireland, he said he visited the church that our GG Grandfather was the pastor for before he left. It's in ruins, but it still had a few walls up - gave him goosebumps!

I should have added this part. Some people may misinterpret my prior post incorrectly.