PDA

View Full Version : Need translating help (German)

Justin J. Rebbert
07 June 2009, 12:30 AM
Regarding this image: http://gallery.me.com/jjr512/100612/image-x_23/large.jpg

The 24th name down (from top left) is Gottfried Rebbert. What does that entire line say? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Ursula
07 June 2009, 04:29 AM
Gren. (= Grenadier) Gottfried Rebbert aus (= from) Werne a. (= an) Lippe, Kr. (=Kreis) L

Justin J. Rebbert
07 June 2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks for your help!

I have in my family history a Theodore Rebbert who came to America from Germany in 1859. My information is that he was born in Werne, Westphalia, Prussia in 1831. It is known that his father's name was Gottfried.

Since the Franco-Prussian war was 1870-1871, and that Theodore was born in 1831, his father Gottfried was most likely around 60 years old during that war, so it's very unlikely that this is the same Gottfried referred to in the paper. However, given that they are both from the same area, and the relative uncommonness of the name Rebbert, it seems to me to be reasonable to suppose that they are related somehow. The Gottfried that died in that war could possibly be a younger brother, or, more likely, a nephew or cousin of Theodore.

Ursula
08 June 2009, 02:54 AM
Maybe you have other sources too, but from the mention in your .jpg, there is no hint, that this Gottfried Rebbert died during the listed war. If he would be wounded to death, there had been another abbreviation: