PDA

View Full Version : Reunion Player, Scanning

Anne
30 July 2005, 03:32 AM
It's been 20 years since my first MacPlus, and its ultra-elegant word processing program, Write Now. I can't think of another application that's maintained that standard all this time but Reunion, thanks to Frank.

Yet...I do wish I could share this research with my family, who ALL use Windows. We could divvy up the family lines and all get involved. As it is, it's feeling a lot like the boxes of great family memories in color Kodak slides that sit down in the basement because none of the kids are going to scan them into the computer and the old projector's broken.

I don't really want to sit alone with my research anymore; I'd like more interaction with the family this is all about. So I'm wavering...and shaking my head that in 20 years the two systems are still so far apart.

Years ago there was a Reunion Player, a view-only app. Does that still exist?

ttl
30 July 2005, 04:32 PM
I think the answer about Reunion Player is that you can create Web Family Cards with all the same family info. The family card folder can be copied to cd and anyone with an internet browser (Windows, Mac, or anything else) can go through your family information in a way similar to Reunion Player.

J. Morrow
01 August 2005, 07:30 PM
As it is, it's feeling a lot like the boxes of great family memories in color Kodak slides that sit down in the basement because none of the kids are going to scan them into the computer and the old projector's broken.
If you want to get those old slides and negatives converted to CDs, don't waste your time scanning them. Take them to Wal-Mart and have them do the conversion. I had over 2,000 slides and 500 negatives converted to CDs, and have another 500 to 1,000 negatives to do. Assemble them in groups of 40 and the charge is $2.82/40, plus tax, or roughly $3.00/CD. One recommendation is that you put them in desired order and ask them to try to keep them in order. I didn't do that in advance and now I am trying to accomplish it in iPhoto so that I can burn them to a DVD in chronological order.

Jim Morrow

jimrite
01 August 2005, 09:17 PM
Yet...I do wish I could share this research with my family, who ALL use Windows. We could divvy up the family lines and all get involved...I don't really want to sit alone with my research anymore; I'd like more interaction with the family this is all about. So I'm wavering...and shaking my head that in 20 years the two systems are still so far apart.

Years ago there was a Reunion Player, a view-only app. Does that still exist?I don't think Reunion Player exists, but internet browsers are ubiquitous and Reunion does a great job of exporting the entire database to web cards. I've made some pretty spiffy hybrid CDs using Toast that include all 2700 family members in my database, along with 1000+ photos, 40+ audio files and several dozen short movies. I suppose a clever family member could move that data into another program and manipulate it, but a big advantage for me is that I can keep control of the master file and still share the entire contents for pennies a disc.
Jim Wright

WELL465d
02 August 2005, 06:18 PM
If you want to get those old slides and negatives converted to CDs, don't waste your time scanning them. Take them to Wal-Mart and have them do the conversion. I had over 2,000 slides and 500 negatives converted to CDs, and have another 500 to 1,000 negatives to do. Assemble them in groups of 40 and the charge is $2.82/40, plus tax, or roughly $3.00/CD. One recommendation is that you put them in desired order and ask them to try to keep them in order. I didn't do that in advance and now I am trying to accomplish it in iPhoto so that I can burn them to a DVD in chronological order.Jim do you know what resolution WalMart scans the slides. I am interested in something better than 72 dpi really would like 300dpi and I am afraid that if they only get 40 per CD that the resolution is low.

Patrick Holcombe
02 August 2005, 07:01 PM
If you want to get those old slides and negatives converted to CDs, don't waste your time scanning them. Take them to Wal-Mart and have them do the conversion.Jim, Do you have any idea what the dpi that they scan at. Sounds very good, but I have been disappointed before by the picture CD's that sometimes resemble thumbnails IMHO.
Patrick

Frank
03 August 2005, 11:46 AM
Earlier this year, I had WalMart scan about 8000 old pictures. About half were from 35mm negatives, and the other half from older 110 negatives. The resulting scans are all 1818 x 1228 pixels. Doing this at WalMart is extremely cheap and quick, and my theory is that the resulting image files are "good enough" for 99% of the pictures in my collection. For the really good pictures (the 1%), where I want a higher resolution, I can scan those with a better scanner or send them someplace that offers better resolution scans at higher prices. (Unfortunately, WalMart only offered one resolution.)

SGilbert
03 August 2005, 12:53 PM
If they only did 8mm movies (I've got 100's of them)------Life would be great!

STEVE
03 August 2005, 06:46 PM
If they only did 8mm movies (I've got 100's of them)------Life would be great!M. Gilbert,

Goto Google

enter "movie conversion"

Many tools and businesses to convert 8mm to digital..

STEVE

J. Morrow
04 August 2005, 01:36 AM
Jim, Do you have any idea what the dpi that they scan at. Sounds very good, but I have been disappointed before by the picture CD's that sometimes resemble thumbnails IMHO.
PatrickFrank answered your question regarding the scanning. All my slides and negatives have been 35mm, and each JPEG image varies between 800KB and 1.7MB so there is plenty of blank space on the CD. I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and found that they would put several groups of 40 on one CD if requested. I just didn't think to ask earlier. I agree with Frank that the quality is good enough for my use.

Jim Morrow

Anne
06 August 2005, 12:16 AM
I'm thrilled to learn about Walmart's slide conversions. And it makes sense that CDs have replaced the Reunion Player. The next piece to my wish list, tho, is a way for multiple people on different platforms to build segments of a master file. A web application, perhaps, where family members (under some password access control) could directly add their research or documents would be good. Or maybe a common Gedcom template I could pass out for others to use that would help maintain consistency (but the main problem with this, as I understand it, is that multimedia files don't transfer).

I'm not as interested in maintaining control as I am in generating group involvement. I can keep my own masterfile for real data control; the point is to emphasize sharing the process. (We enjoy playing Scrabble online, from multiple points on the continent, for instance.) I envision a cousin entering vital records info, a nephew entering a paragraph on an ancient castle he's read about, a brother's photo of grandpa, an aunt's heritage recipe, etc. And while I'm working on a maternal line, someone else is following a paternal...

Am I dreaming the impossible?

vineviz
06 August 2005, 02:04 PM
Am I dreaming the impossible?

Nope.

http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php