PDA

View Full Version : How to show transgendered people

KPaulsen
14 May 2009, 01:28 PM
Has anyone come upon a relative who has changed gender. I have a male second cousin once removed who was married and produced two children. He has transitioned physically from a male to a female. Has anyone else run into this situation? If yes, how have you handled it genealogically in Reunion?

martha
15 May 2009, 02:21 AM
Has anyone come upon a relative who has changed gender. I have a male second cousin once removed who was married and produced two children. He has transitioned physically from a male to a female. Has anyone else run into this situation? If yes, how have you handled it genealogically in Reunion?

I ran into this with a distant female cousin. I asked her/him what she wanted me to do and she said she wanted to be listed as a male. So I switched her sex and made a note about his original gender in the notes field. I don't think that is totally satisfactory, but I couldn't think of any other way to handle it.

Martha

Tom Robinson
15 May 2009, 09:57 PM
Has anyone come upon a relative who has changed gender. I have a male second cousin once removed who was married and produced two children. He has transitioned physically from a male to a female.
I think you'll find he changed gender a long time ago but has more recently changed sex. 'Sex' is the physical difference between men and woman, 'gender' is the role we assume/have.

e.g.

http://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/index.html

Most writing in recent times uses 'gender' instead of 'sex', which is incorrect in the traditional sense, so maybe our society's more prudish (or PC) than we like to admit ;)