PDA

View Full Version : Only six great grandparents - how to show this?

smeehan
31 July 2005, 04:10 PM
This is a doozy. I'm working on a section of the family in the 6th to 10th generation. They're on Martha's Vineyard, and boy, have they intermarried! My six greats grandfather, Zachariah Norton, Jr. has only six great grandparents, because his father's mother's mother is the sister of his mother's mother's father! In other words, Thomas Pease, Sr. and Bathsheeba Merry are his great grandparents on both his father's and his mother's side. I have persuaded Reunion to eliminate one extra Thomas Pease, Sr and Bathsheeba Merry set, by mixing and matching, and then separating. I've also used the extra spouse separation and elimination trick, so the little red arrows are gone. It looked at first glance as if I'd succeeded, because there is only one Thomas Pease, Sr. and one Bathsheeba Merry now listed in the index. However, if I do a pedigree chart of Zachariah, Bathsheeba and Thomas appear twice, right next to each other, showing the descent through both their son and their daughter. If I rerun the match and merge, it says there aren't any to be matched. And if I do a descendent's chart from Thomas, Sr. and Bathsheeba, they show Thomas's parents twice, and Thomas and his many brothers and sisters also twice. I don't know how to eliminate this. BTW, I've made a chart on Appletalk that shows the lineage correctly, if that is a help, I'd be delighted to send it.

Perplexed, but laughing -

Susan Meehan (Perhaps that duplicated great grandparent set explains my personality defects!)

Dennis J. Cunniff
31 July 2005, 06:47 PM
Zachariah Norton, Jr. has only six great grandparents, because his father's mother's mother is the sister of his mother's mother's father!Susan,
When you make a pedigree or descendant chart, there is a box you can click ("remove duplicates") that may do something close to what you want.
The charts will show the "duplication" for one generation, but none past that.

For real fun, chart Don Carlos of Spain (1545-1568). He has only four great-grandparents, and six great-grandparents.

smeehan
03 August 2005, 09:34 AM
Dennis - I tried this after reading your post. The result was that Thomas and Bathsheeba still showed up twice in the chart, but that the second set of names had mysterious double asterisks after them. No explanations given by Reunion, and clicking on them produced no results. Any further ideas?

Susan

ttl
03 August 2005, 10:33 AM
In Reunion, go to Help-->Search the Manual, and look up "remove duplicates." Then click on the "Pedigree Chart, Pruning and Duplication" entry, which should be the first one. This will give you a fuller explanation.

If your chart goes back far enough to include Thomas' and Bathsheeba's parents, their parents would be the duplicates that would be removed. This is another way of saying what Dennis mentioned ("The charts will show the "duplication" for one generation, but none past that.").

I've been scratching my head over why you'd want to remove any instances of Thomas and Bathsheeba from this pedigree... it would seem incomplete to me if you did so. But the easiest way to get what you want would probably be to just select and manually delete the copy of their boxes you don't like.

The remove duplicates option might be more useful for you in the descendant chart than in the pedigree chart.

Dennis J. Cunniff
03 August 2005, 03:48 PM
Dennis - I tried this after reading your post. The result was that Thomas and Bathsheeba still showed up twice in the chart, but that the second set of names had mysterious double asterisks after them. No explanations given by Reunion, and clicking on them produced no results. Any further ideas?

Susan

You can click and drag the second Thomas** so it lies under the first Thomas, and the second Bathsheeba** so it lies under the first Bathsheeba, and then rearrange the generation that includes their children so there isn't a lot of crossing of lines.

Sometimes, however, this is easier to say than do. But this is just prettying the thing up; the asterisks are there to say "this person appears on this chart more than once, so look for the other instance somewhere".