PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on how to list dads

Sydney G
25 April 2009, 09:10 PM
As I have said before I am new to Reunion and I could use some suggestions.

I have a women in my file who had an affair. She ended up having a daughter with the other guy. Then her husband adopted the girl. They raised the girl along side there other kids. What is the best way to show that the girl had two dads but one mom?

Thank You,
Sydney G.

SGilbert
25 April 2009, 09:46 PM
The little girl should be linked with her natural parents. Show the parents as unmarried. Then add a spouse for the mother and add "from index" the girl as the child of the new couple and show her as adopted.

If the girl's last name changed due to the adoption, then you have choices. You can use "Jones/Smith"; "Jones->Smith"; "(Jones) Smith"; or some other method of your choosing. Some only use the new legal last name and put the original last name in notes.

Sydney G
25 April 2009, 11:21 PM
The little girl should be linked with her natural parents. Show the parents as unmarried. Then add a spouse for the mother and add "from index" the girl as the child of the new couple and show her as adopted.

Thank you for your help. I listed the girl the way you suggested and now in the Index it says the mother has 5 kids not 4. Is there a way to fix this?

Thank You,
Sydney G.

SGilbert
26 April 2009, 10:21 AM
Is one a duplicate? If so, you likely added the adopted daughter from scratch rather than adding her from the index. Just delete the dup, but make sure the associations on the remaining one are correct.

Sydney G
26 April 2009, 08:10 PM
I am still confused. About what to do or what I did wrong.

1. I added the Husband and Wife.
2. I added the Other Man (The Daughter's Father) as a spouse of the Wife.
3. I added the girl as a daughter of the Other Man and the Wife.
4. I went back to the Husband and Wife card and added the Daughter from the index. Reunion yelled at me telling me the girl was already the daughter of the wife then asked if I wanted to move her or duplicate her. I duplicated her.

Now the Wife has 5 kids not 4. Are you saying I should of just listed her on another family card with just the Husband to show the adoption, and not on the same family card with her sisters and brother?

Thank You For The Help,
Sydney G.

Bob White
26 April 2009, 11:08 PM
She is the daughter of the other man not the husband. Cardinal rule for any genealogy program: One person,,,one record. Your mistake is attempting to add her to a second pair of parents. The software knows that there can only be one mother and one father, so, as you put it, it yelled at you. :)

With the difference that my mother was married to both men, you describe my situation. I record myself as the son of my mother's first husband (my biological father) and note her second spouse card (with the second husband) that husband number two adopted me.

dfilpus
27 April 2009, 12:18 AM
In my opinion, the way that Reunion handles this situation is not correct. When a wife remarries and the husband adopts the children from the first marriage, the children should be represented on the second family card as being adopted by the father. This is a very common situation. If you create the second link to the children with the Adopted label, Reunion counts the children twice for the mother. This double counting is confusing and not correct.

Sydney G
28 April 2009, 01:08 AM
In my opinion, the way that Reunion handles this situation is not correct. When a wife remarries and the husband adopts the children from the first marriage, the children should be represented on the second family card as being adopted by the father. This is a very common situation. If you create the second link to the children with the Adopted label, Reunion counts the children twice for the mother. This double counting is confusing and not correct.

Thank you for all the suggestions, and insight.

I totally agree with you, dfilpus, that the double counting is wrong but I think I am just going to deal with it for now and note that the mother only has 4 kids. I just think that it is important for the girl to be linked with her biological father first, and her adopted father second, because he raised her. Hopefully this problem will be fixed one day because I have several other adoptions to deal with and strongly fill if I have the info it should go in the tree.

Thank You all for your help,
Sydney G.