PDA

View Full Version : Which Chart/Report?

David Ramsey
31 July 2005, 01:09 PM
I am in the process of entering my family info and there many missing details within recent generations. I will be attending a family gathering soon and would like to present the info I have (hard copy) and encourage others to add what they know. My Question... Which chart/report would you recomend that shows all the details I have as well as those which are missing (ie birthdate, burial, ect). I would like to print out a chart/report so people could simply fill in the blanks and make corrections. I am sure this has come up before but my searches were unsuccessful. Many thanks in advance.

David G. Kanter
31 July 2005, 03:45 PM
. . .I will be attending a family gathering soon and would like to present the info I have (hard copy) and encourage others to add what they know. My Question... Which chart/report would you recomend that shows all the details I have as well as those which are missing (ie birthdate, burial, ect). I would like to print out a chart/report so people could simply fill in the blanks and make corrections. . . .There are lots of options. If you don't wish to provide each attendee (or attendee family) with their own product, then pick a Descendant or Relative Chart and/or, say, Descendant Report, create in each a Layout which includes all the fields on which you'd want information, and in the Layout's "Event Format", ensure that the "Exclude Empty Fields" option is disabled. That way there'll still be placekeeper labels even if there is no data in the field. The annotations could be made after those labels, although the available space is likely to be very limited.

My preferred approach, however, is to provide attendees with a personalized product. I do, also, post a chart, but with the "Exclude Empty Fields" option enabled. That gives everyone an uncluttered overview of what you do have for those fields you've selected of being of primary interest. (My preference is for the Relative Chart as that puts the multiple lines all on one chart--at least if they are all related. I like to see all the lateral relatives included along with the direct-line relatives.)

I then have a Family History Report available (with almost all of the data fields selected in its Layout) so that they can see literally everything you have--including the Notes, which can't be included automatically on a chart. (If you have fields with sensitive or research information that isn't for everyone's eyes, exclude them--and ensure you've enabled the Sensitive Data option in Options->Reports->Sensitive Data and have used the chosen delimiters to bracket such data that is in the fields you do choose to include where the Sensitive Data applies.)

And finally, I provide each attendee (or attendee family) with a Family Group Sheet (FGS), again with the Layout tailored to showing all the fields whose data you'd want them to confirm or supply, making sure to create the FGS with the Questionnaire option selected in the FGS dialogue. I find that having attendees make entries on an FGS is far more likely to be readable (and complete) than if they just annotate a chart. To facilitate having an FGS with sufficient detail for everyone, I have one Layout where there's full detail on any children--which I use for family groups that don't have any children who have been married--and another Layout with minimum info on any children--which I use when any of the children have been married because in that case, I'd also have separate FGSs for those children, too--whether married or not. Yes, it takes a bit of planning to determine on which families get which style FGS, but the higher-quality feedback I get that way has made it well worth my effort. YMMV.

David Ramsey
01 August 2005, 08:57 PM
Thank you David. I appreciate your help.

David