PDA

View Full Version : To remove or not

david
24 April 2009, 12:08 PM
A newcomer to my website sent me this message .."Please take my in-laws name off of the web site immediately."

The info about the in-laws was taken from a New York Times Social page.

Any suggestions, how to handle this or any similar request?

David Blank
www.blankgenealogy.com

kyuck
24 April 2009, 12:27 PM
A newcomer to my website sent me this message .."Please take my in-laws name off of the web site immediately."
The info about the in-laws was taken from a New York Times Social page.
Any suggestions, how to handle this or any similar request?
David Blank
www.blankgenealogy.comDavid, IMHO it is always best to comply with requests such as this rather than to irritate a whole branch of the family. You will still have the data in your original file.

Linda G
24 April 2009, 12:32 PM
If they're living, or recently living, absolutely, IMHO!

For me, recently living is 2 generations from me. So, I would start with my gg-grandparents' generation for sharing/publishing in public.

A restricted venue may be less restrictive, but I'd still be very cautious, and would certainly respect relatives' requests regarding individuals within that 2 generation framework.

Just my opinion

theKiwi
24 April 2009, 02:15 PM
Hi David

Probably the easiest way to handle this is to create a new Flag in your file called "Private" (no quotes) and then for these people set that Flag to On.

Then in Reunion's Preferences ------> Privacy and Sensitivity set that up so that you check "People with this flag checked = Private" and below that "What to do with private people" set that to

Name = Omit
Additional Text (Private)

Then when you do your GEDCOM export to TNG make sure to check the box for "Use Privacy Filtering".

Then these flagged people will not have their names show in the GEDCOM file, so they won't show on your TNG site

Cheers

Roger