PDA

View Full Version : Import RTF file?

jascott
29 July 2005, 04:41 PM
Can I import an RTF file? If so, how? I tried importing it as text but it didn't work.

Steve W. Jackson
29 July 2005, 06:10 PM
Can I import an RTF file? If so, how? I tried importing it as text but it didn't work.
RTF is text...sort of. In reality, it's specially coded text. The format is hairy -- that's a good technical term. :)

If you're trying to import the text of an RTF document into your notes, you'll probably find that it's best to open it in a program that understands RTF. AppleWorks can to some degree, but much depends on what program created it. In OS X, TextEdit (included with the OS) can read it. If your program displays it adequately, you should be able to copy the text and then paste it into your notes.

As for a direct import, I'm reasonably sure Reunion won't do it because it's not plain text. If copy/paste doesn't do the trick, perhaps we can find some other options for you that will meet your needs.

= Steve =

Wayne Till
01 August 2005, 11:48 PM
To expand on what Steve said, after you've opened an rtf document in TextEdit, there is an option to convert it to plain text. If you do that, then you can import it easily. His solution saves steps if you only import the text once, but this alternative allows you to use portions of the text on several family cards, reports, etc.