PDA

View Full Version : Deleting Spouses/Others

Bob Salsburg
29 July 2005, 11:11 AM
Somehow I am missing this.

The start of my family file was imported as a Gedcom from an unknown Windoze app that my brother used.

Quite a few entries have duplicate spouses. I cannot seem to remove them. I have unlinked and saved the individual, and dragged to clipboard to purge, but they persist.

Could the file have some creeping corruption showing up in this minor snag?

Legolas
29 July 2005, 01:34 PM
Locate the red double arrow at the right of the person's header button. Click. this displays a menu where you choose the option "Edit spouses".

In the window which appears, you should find one with nobody as a spouse. Select it and choose "Remove link".

Save.

That's all

genealogist.lily
29 July 2005, 06:55 PM
Quite a few entries have duplicate spouses. I cannot seem to remove them. I have unlinked and saved the individual, and dragged to clipboard to purge, but they persist.

The suggestion to "Edit spouses" and "Remove Link" should work. But while the couple are "unlinked" I think they both remain in your file. So you will to find the person you don't want and delete the file.

I've been "corrected" by Reunion many times. If there are children with a spouse you are trying to remove - Reunion will not let you delete the card until you have dealt with the children - you have to drag them to the clipboard and either delete them or place them into the family file with the correct parents. Once the children are off the family card, either or both parents can be removed - permanently.
Lily

Frank Mitchell
29 July 2005, 08:50 PM

Go to the family card showing the unwanted spouse, then there are two ways...

1. Drag the marriage field to the clip board then open the clip board and Clear it, or

2. Select File/Delete People and select "Delete This Family Record".

In either case you will get the usual warnings but that's OK.

Of course, if there is any infornation you want to keep on the unwanted marriage (eg children?), transfer it to the wanted marriage first.

Frank

Bob Salsburg
30 July 2005, 10:31 AM
With fear and trepidation, I followed the combination of advisements (though I did have a backup). Now, my file is cleaned of duplicates. Thanks for the help.