PDA

View Full Version : 4H Genealogy Grand Champion!

Diana Denny Brumfield
28 July 2005, 11:34 AM
My son just completed his first year of 4H and got 4 blue ribbons, 2 of which will go on to the State Fair. He even got Grand Champion over all the age divisions for Genealogy. Since we didn't know what we were doing and had little guidance from the 4H club, I believe this was due to the beautiful charts that Reunion made. He hand wrote all the 4H forms to show he did the research, but he also displayed the computer version with the scanned photos. The pedigree and family group sheets must have knocked the judge's socks off. They did mine.

I converted to a Mac a couple of years ago and purchased Reunion earlier this year. However, the 4H project really forced us to reorganize all our Genealogy records. I find the software very intuitive. Is there a book of tricks out there besides the online manual?

Also, what would be the best and most affordable large format printer to purchase so I can start a wall hanging of the pedigree charts?

vineviz
28 July 2005, 01:27 PM
Congratulations to your son!

I have not found a more cost-effective solution to large-format printing than using the folks at Heartland Family Graphics (http://www.familygraphics.com/). They have always provided great service and great product to me.

I hope that others with more direct experience with doing their own large-format printing will give you a direct answer (i.e. which printer is recommended), but my research convinced me I could not do a better job myself than the folks at Heartland.

David G. Kanter
28 July 2005, 02:03 PM
. . .Is there a book of tricks out there besides the online manual?I'm not aware of any 3rd-party publication. Besides the real-time hints you'll find by keeping up with the new postings to ReunionTalk, don't overlook the ability to click the Search and then look for prior postings in ReunionTalk or in the ReunionTalk Database--as well as download the old ReunionTalk Digest Archives. One clarification: Just so other readers aren't misled, Reunion's electronic manual isn't "online"--in the sense of being on the Internet--but rather stored completely on your own computer. You don't have to have Internet access to use that manual.

Also, what would be the best and most affordable large format printer to purchase so I can start a wall hanging of the pedigree charts?As I suggest this part of Diana's post has drifted into the realm of the "Using Software & Hardware with Reunion", I've taken the liberty of starting a new thread there with the subject "Suggestions of a Large-Format Printer to Purchase". (http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=483) (I also included in that new thread the reply that vineviz had already made in this forum.) I'd urge follow-on postings on that subject be made to that thread--rather than in this forum.

STEVE
28 July 2005, 08:38 PM
Also, what would be the best and most affordable large format printer to purchase so I can start a wall hanging of the pedigree charts?Diana, Congradulations to you and your son! (and to Reunion!)

Vineviz has the right scoop. Printing in wide format is not something to be lightly undertaken. The equipment is expensive and the supplies are likewise costly. Then there are all the little ways of tweaking the Reunion output to assure the very best end product. Tim at Heartland has been doing this for us for years and I've never heard anything but compliments about his work.

If you decide that you just have to have your own printer, talk to Tim. He's really nice and will probably be able to help you choose a printer and get it running.

STEVE

Mandy Harrington
29 July 2005, 09:47 PM
Congratulations to your son for his accomplishment.

I too would like a book that I could brouse through about REUNION.
I find that by looking through a book that explains what REUNION can do, I find ways that I can use the program that I wasn't aware of. There are times when one doesn't know the question to ask.

Again, congratulations!