PDA

View Full Version : Synchronising Reunion over two Macs ?

Steven
27 July 2005, 09:52 AM
I'm about to buy a 2nd laptop, probably a 14" iBook, to join my 17" Powerbook.

One of the uses for the iBook will be a backup facility. But is there a way to automatically synchronise a Reunion family file between two computers? In other words, one family file, but that family file can be updated to from either computer, with a copy of the family file maintained on each hard disk?

Any tips appreciated.

theKiwi
27 July 2005, 11:42 AM
I use ChronoSynch from Econ Technologies (http://www.econtechnologies.com/site/index.html) to keep the entire Documents folders from our 3 Macs synchronised. This keeps the most recent copy of each file updated to all 3 Macs.

Just remember to run it, or whatever else you decide to get after each time you make changes on one computer before you make changes on another computer. ChronoSynch will alert you if both files have changed since you last synched, but in the end you lose one of them.

Roger

Margie Brace
30 July 2005, 12:16 AM
I use ChronoSynch from Econ Technologies (http://www.econtechnologies.com/site/index.html) to keep the entire Documents folders from our 3 Macs synchronised. This keeps the most recent copy of each file updated to all 3 Macs.

Just remember to run it, or whatever else you decide to get after each time you make changes on one computer before you make changes on another computer. ChronoSynch will alert you if both files have changed since you last synched, but in the end you lose one of them.

Roger

I went ahead and bought Chronosync but when I bring up the IMac I don't have the choice to select the Brace Family Tree Reunion folder. Any suggestions as I am a bit of a novice?

theKiwi
30 July 2005, 12:55 AM
What OS is the iMac running? (Your original post mentioned a 17" PowerBook and a possible new iBook).

Where is the "Brace Family Tree Reunion" folder?

Do you have FileSharing turned on on the computer you are trying to connect TO?

If the iMac is running Mac OS X, is the Brace Family folder inside your Home folder, or is it in the Reunion folder?

Roger

Margie Brace
30 July 2005, 07:56 PM
What OS is the iMac running? (Your original post mentioned a 17" PowerBook and a possible new iBook).
Where is the "Brace Family Tree Reunion" folder?
Do you have FileSharing turned on on the computer you are trying to connect TO?
If the iMac is running Mac OS X, is the Brace Family folder inside your Home folder, or is it in the Reunion folder?I am a different person to the one who made the first post. I just happened to have the same problem. Thank you so much for your help.

The iMac is running OSX 10.3.9, the Brace Family Tree is a reunion file. It is in the Reunion folder. Filesharing is turned on.

There are two volumes when I connect to the iMac. One is called Marg which is the user folder and one called Macintosh HD. (This is probably irrelevant)

If I select the Macintosh HD and use Chronosync. It brings up the Reunion application folder but when I select it I only have the option to select the Chart, Pictures and Reports folders, the Brace Family Tree folder is not highlighted.

Rauser
31 July 2005, 06:21 PM
<snip>
The iMac is running OSX 10.3.9, the Brace Family Tree is a reunion file. It is in the Reunion folder. Filesharing is turned on.
<snip>I've found that moving your data file and other related documents (i.e.-pictures & multimedia) to a suitably-named folder inside your Home ~/Documents/ folder will eliminate a whole raft of subtle (and some not so) issues that arise from permissions in OS X.

For example, I had all kinds of problems generating word processor reports until I did this.

You may have to relink your photos after the move but in the long run this will be worth it as it makes many small annoyances disappear.

One convience I made was to create an alias to my genealogy file and keep it in the Reunion folder in /Applications/. Thus, when you go to the Open File dialog your files are in the default folder.

-Chris

Margie Brace
01 August 2005, 03:42 AM
I've found that moving your data file and other related documents (i.e.-pictures & multimedia) to a suitably-named folder inside your Home ~/Documents/ folder will eliminate a whole raft of subtle (and some not so) issues that arise from permissions in OS X.

For example, I had all kinds of problems generating word processor reports until I did this.

You may have to relink your photos after the move but in the long run this will be worth it as it makes many small annoyances disappear.

One convience I made was to create an alias to my genealogy file and keep it in the Reunion folder in /Applications/. Thus, when you go to the Open File dialog your files are in the default folder.I made a new file called Reunion 8 data and put it in my documents folder along with the Pictures but the Brace Family Tree which has the Reunion icon displayed next to it is still not highlighted when I attempt to synchronise.

Urs Geiser
01 August 2005, 12:11 PM
I use ChronoSynch ...
Just remember to run it, or whatever else you decide to get after each time you make changes on one computer before you make changes on another computer. ChronoSynch will alert you if both files have changed since you last synched, but in the end you lose one of them.Also, remember that Reunion updates the modification date even if you only look at the data without actually changing anything. The file with the most recent modifcation date may not be the one with the most recent changes! Be careful as to which of your various versions you opt to delete.

Glenn
02 August 2005, 09:15 PM
I went ahead and bought Chronosync but when I bring up the IMac I don't have the choice to select the Brace Family Tree Reunion folder. Any suggestions as I am a bit of a novice?Margie, make sure when you navigate to the Reunion folder you don't double click the folder. If you are able to see items within the Reunion folder you are opening the folder, not selecting it.

Glenn

theKiwi
03 August 2005, 07:31 AM
ChronoSynch only synchronises folders, not individual files - that's why you can't choose your Reunion data file to be a source or a target on either the left of the right.

And as Urs pointed out, the newest dated file isn't necessarily the one you've most recently made changes to.

For some years now I've been in the mental habit of never opening the file on the iBook if I'm at home with access to my G4 to prevent such a situation arising. At home I ONLY open the file on the G4. If I find myself needing to open it on the iBook while at home just to look at something and not make any changes, then I open a COPY of my file and then throw that away when I'm done. This prevents either ChronoSynch or myself getting confused about which file contains the more recent information.

Roger