PDA

View Full Version : proper entry of birth place

Joyce Bernhard
26 July 2005, 04:58 PM
This is my first post so bear with me--I'm not sure I know what I am doing. My question is about entering birth and also death place. Is it correct to enter your resident address or the hospital's address? and if it is correct to use the hospital address, how should one enter the actual residency. should it be in the memo line of the event? Thanks Joyce Bernhard

STEVE
26 July 2005, 07:42 PM
This is my first post so bear with me--I'm not sure I know what I am doing. My question is about entering birth and also death place. Is it correct to enter your resident address or the hospital's address? You enter the actual birth place. Mine includes the Taxi number and the intersecting streets where the cab stopped.

and if it is correct to use the hospital address, how should one enter the actual residency. should it be in the memo line of the event? Thanks Joyce BernhardThe hospital is the actual residency. When the child goes "home", you can then enter EVENT:RESIDANCY:date;place;memo. Of course, you could add the hospital as a "residance" event --- in ADDITION to the birth entry.

STEVE

genealogist.lily
27 July 2005, 10:23 AM
Is it correct to enter your resident address or the hospital's address? and if it is correct to use the hospital address, how should one enter the actual residency. should it be in the memo line of the event?You will get lots of answers on this one - showing there is no one RIGHT way. My feeling is that your entries should be consistent. Ten years ago I would enter the hospital name or the cemetery name in the place field but I found I was entering them all differently using various short forms or longer formal names because "Speed Names" does not hold all names forever.

Now I've reworked my entire data base so that place refers to city, township, county, province, country. Which I always enter the same way. In the memo field I add the name of the hospital or for a death, the cemetery or for a baptism or marriage the name of the church. The advantage is that when I use "List > Places" I need only edit actual map-places and not buildings, cemeteries, streets.

Consider all the suggestions you receive and choose the one the works best for you.
Lily

Joyce Bernhard
02 August 2005, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the answers. I asked because I was being inconsistant in many of my entries and am trying now to clean some of that up. Joyce