PDA

View Full Version : Spouse of the person at the origin of a cascading pedigree chart

jbkeene
25 July 2005, 02:17 AM
I just started taking the NGS home study course on American Genealogy. I've been at this hobby for about 6 years and have been using Reunion that whole time so thought I kew a lot. But I immediately ran into a Reunion problem that has me stumped. The NGS specifies that the Cascading Pedigree chart must show the spouse of the person at the origin. I cannot figure out how to get Reunion to do that. I can do it in the regular pedigree chart but the format of that chart is so different from the cascading pedigree format that I gave up the thought of trying to use it for the course. Can anyone tell me how to get the spouse in there? Otherwise the cascading pedigree chart is perfect for my needs.
Jocelyn

Steve W. Jackson
25 July 2005, 07:29 PM
I just started taking the NGS home study course on American Genealogy. I've been at this hobby for about 6 years and have been using Reunion that whole time so thought I kew a lot. But I immediately ran into a Reunion problem that has me stumped. The NGS specifies that the Cascading Pedigree chart must show the spouse of the person at the origin. I cannot figure out how to get Reunion to do that. I can do it in the regular pedigree chart but the format of that chart is so different from the cascading pedigree format that I gave up the thought of trying to use it for the course. Can anyone tell me how to get the spouse in there? Otherwise the cascading pedigree chart is perfect for my needs.
Jocelyn
If I understand the question properly, that's one of the options available in the Layouts for your Pedigree Chart. When you choose Pedigree Chart from the Create menu, the dialog contains a selection for Layout near the bottom. You can edit existing ones or create a new one. Look under the Settings column and you'll see (at the bottom) "Include Spouses of". Select that and you'll be able to check Source Person and/or Siblings if you wish. OK these changes and you should now have appropriate spouses appearing.

= Steve =

theKiwi
25 July 2005, 08:33 PM
The NGS specifies that the Cascading Pedigree chart must show the spouse of the person at the origin. I cannot figure out how to get Reunion to do that. I can do it in the regular pedigree chart but the format of that chart is so different from the cascading pedigree format that I gave up the thought of trying to use it for the course. Can anyone tell me how to get the spouse in there? Otherwise the cascading pedigree chart is perfect for my needs.
Jocelyn
If I understand the question properly, that's one of the options available in the Layouts for your Pedigree Chart. When you choose Pedigree Chart from the Create menu, the dialog contains a selection for Layout near the bottom. You can edit existing ones or create a new one. Look under the Settings column and you'll see (at the bottom) "Include Spouses of". Select that and you'll be able to check Source Person and/or Siblings if you wish. OK these changes and you should now have appropriate spouses appearing.

But Jocelyn's message is talking about the Cascading Pedigree Chart, which has far fewer options, and adding spouse is not one of them :-(

ttl
25 July 2005, 08:54 PM
It's interesting that the Reunion cascading pedigree includes the marriage info for the source person, minus the name of to whom he/she is married on the family card used.

Although I might ask if the "official form" of the cascading pedigree accommodates multiple spouses.

It would seem more straighforward if spouse(s) were not part of this at all, marriage date and place included, but the NGS didn't ask my opinion. :rolleyes:

jbkeene
26 July 2005, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys,
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is stumped by this. Now I don't feel so dumb. However, if this is the "official" form of pedigree used by the NGS it might behoove Reunion to think about adding the option of a spouse to the cascading pedigree chart. (Even if some people think that it doesn't make much sense, and I kind of agree.)
Jocelyn

STEVE
26 July 2005, 07:27 PM
JocelynI get the feeling that this is going to be one of those questions where the answers may be somewhat arbitarty, set by rule-setters rather than by utility.

Taking a long-distance look at the purpose of a Cascading Pedigree chart, the idea is to provide a clear look at the ancestors of ONE PARTICULAR PERSON. Who that persons spouse, siblings, or descendants are has nothing to do with the chart. The person who is the origin of the chart is the focal point. I can see Reunion's viewpoint clearly and cleanly --- focus on the person you have been asked to focus on. Keep the non-essentials down to a minimum.

What I don't understand is why anyone would want to see anyone but the person of origin in the origin box? Are we to show all five spouses? The most current spouse? The original spouse? How about the original spouses third cousin's adopted son's girlfriend's brother?

STEVE

Dennis J. Cunniff
26 July 2005, 10:44 PM
What I don't understand is why anyone would want to see anyone but the person of origin in the origin box? STEVE

Because sometimes it's helpful to know that the chart is in reference to the "Mary Smith" who married "Jeronymo Q. Kadorphenspfeiffer"?

theKiwi
26 July 2005, 11:21 PM
But isn't it far more likely you're going to identify the chart the "Mary Smith" who is daughter of "Joseph Smith and Matilda Longbottom"?

Dennis J. Cunniff
27 July 2005, 01:28 AM
But isn't it far more likely you're going to identify the chart the "Mary Smith" who is daughter of "Joseph Smith and Matilda Longbottom"?The more information you have about the subject (such as her married name) the better off you are.

genealogist.lily
27 July 2005, 10:03 AM
I agree with you Jocelyn the Cascading Pedigree could give us the OPTION to add a spouse - or not. Let's hope our resident magicians will work their magic.

But for now... Determine a good spot on the page for the spouse information. Get out your word program and type it so it will print in that very spot (you can print on a blank page and hold chart and draft page up to the light to check placement - re-feed the Chart into your printer and as my musical husband says "Viola you are ready to Tango".

In the days of dot-matrix printers (before preprinted forms) we used to scotch tape payroll cheques to paper and "print" them from the computer just because we thought they were so neat. We've been "placing" text on various pages and forms -ever since.
Lily