PDA

View Full Version : Alternate names

Zarnsy
24 July 2005, 12:06 PM
How do you handle alternate names of people? I have a number of people in my data base that have the names they were born with (like Borbala) and then the names that were used in America (like Barbara). Is there a spot for alternate names somewhere that I'm missing??

David G. Kanter
24 July 2005, 12:38 PM
How do you handle alternate names of people?. . .Take a look at the thread in this forum, which started 17 Jun 2005, entitled "Which Surname?" (http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=403). It had several suggestions about how to handle variations in names. (My own approach is in #3 in that thread.) Although the initial question was about Last Names, I believe you'll find that discussion of some help with regard to your question about First & Middle Names.

saoi
24 July 2005, 12:39 PM
How do you handle alternate names of people? I have a number of people in my data base that have the names they were born with (like Borbala) and then the names that were used in America (like Barbara). Is there a spot for alternate names somewhere that I'm missing??
What I've done with my great uncle whose name was Diderik but who was never anything other than Richard in the US was to use (Richard) as in Diderik (Richard) Mattheas Hansen.

I couldn't think of a better method and this one solves the problem.

rich