PDA

View Full Version : OSX->OS9 Transfer

SGilbert
24 July 2005, 12:01 PM
Minor problem here---need suggestions:

Long story short, I need to periodically transfer a copy of my wife's family file to her computer (Pismo-OS9 only) from my computer (Ti dual boot).

Since I use X only, whenever I load her family file to a flash drive to transfer it over, it shows up as a PC file on hers, and can't be opened. I have to totally reboot into 9 on mine to do the transfer---then all is OK.

Any ideas on how I can do the transfer without rebooting?

ttl
24 July 2005, 01:21 PM
The flash drive probably is not in HFS format, so it won't preserve the filetype and creator metadata. I'm not sure why it works when you save the file from OS 9 and transfer via the flash drive though.

You might try stuffing the file in OS X, transferring it, and then unstuffing on the Pismo. That in effect puts a wrapper on the file to preserve its proper form.

SGilbert
24 July 2005, 11:21 PM
No it is not HFS regular or extended, but the transfer DOES work 9 to 9 though.

I'll give Stuffit a try. Thanks.

SGilbert
29 July 2005, 01:07 PM
Well, I'm solving the problem the good ol' American way! Bought wife new 14" iBook 1.42 that was announced this week! Should be here in 3-5 days!

Pismo going to daughter-in-law who now has old "toilet seat" iBook. Anyone need that old Blueberry thing?

David G. Kanter
29 July 2005, 03:11 PM
. . .Pismo going to daughter-in-law. . . .FWIW, I recently upgraded a friend's Pismo (PowerBook G3 [Firewire], in their case a 500MHz processor) to OS 10.4.2 and it's working just fine. I did, however, get their RAM up to 512MB, but a 256MB RAM module was only US$35.

SGilbert
29 July 2005, 03:30 PM
The Pismo is already at 512, but at 4Gig HD, it's a little light in the shorts!!

I don't think there'll be much left after 9 & X are there!

David G. Kanter
29 July 2005, 04:43 PM
The Pismo is already at 512, but at 4Gig HD. . . .Ouch; didn't realize they came with that small a HD. I thought they had 6, 12, or 18GB (or, later, 20GB). The one I upgraded had a 12. (It used to be mine and, although it's relatively slow by today's standards, I still think it's a great machine--what with the good-sized display, the two slots for expansion modules, etc.) FWIW, I see that refurbished 12GB drives are available for less than US$100 and the swap-out ought to be easily done, but I suspect you've already done the pros & cons about such a drive replacement to extend its life and to support OS X.

Al mitchell
30 July 2005, 11:51 AM
Well, I'm solving the problem the good ol' American way! Bought wife new 14" iBook 1.42 that was announced this week! Should be here in 3-5 days!

Pismo going to daughter-in-law who now has old "toilet seat" iBook. Anyone need that old Blueberry thing?

If you are serious about getting rid of the "Blueberry thing", please contact me. I do some charity work with a school in a small village in Mexico. PCs are very rare and desktop models are difficult to transport on jets.

Al Mitchell
Cleveland, OH

Click here to email me (firemedic45@mac.com)

SGilbert
30 July 2005, 12:11 PM
Al, Yes, somewhat serious. Let me get the new iBook in 1st; transfer from Pismo to new iBook; transfer from old iBook to Pismo, and THEN I can wipe the old iBook clean. At that point, I'll know what shape it's in and will contact you as to it's disposition.