PDA

View Full Version : Photos on family card

Lil
18 July 2005, 06:15 PM
How do i keep photos in place on the family card? I have imported pics and seen them on the card, but they do not hold.

Lil

Steve W. Jackson
18 July 2005, 06:36 PM
How do i keep photos in place on the family card? I have imported pics and seen them on the card, but they do not hold.It matters where the image files actually are located on your system.

You don't actually "import" pictures into Reunion. Instead, you link multimedia files to people and families. But Reunion needs to be able to find them in order to display them. On the Options menu, choose Multimedia... and you'll see a dialog where you can list the places Reunion should expect to find your multimedia files. By default, it's going to contain the "Pictures" folder inside the Reunion 8 folder, which is usually in your Applications folder (assuming you're using OS X). (I usually advise against using that and encourage the use of a folder full of your genealogy data, including your family files, multimedia files and more to make backup easy.) The top-level folder needs to be listed there for each location you elect to use -- no need to list any sub-folders you create to help you organize it.

Once Reunion knows about your pictures, it won't lose track of them if they're in one of the folders listed there. And that should prevent a recurrence of your problem.

= Steve =

Lil
19 July 2005, 08:06 PM
It seems the problem is that I want to "import" pics from iPhoto that aren't in
Reunion files yet. I can bring iPhotos onto the family card by working around a bit, but they disappear as soon as I close Reunion. How do I get them into a Reunion folder under Multimedia?

Lil

Bob Goode
19 July 2005, 10:17 PM
It seems the problem is that I want to "import" pics from iPhoto that aren't in Reunion files yet. I can bring iPhotos onto the family card by working around a bit, but they disappear as soon as I close Reunion. How do I get them into a Reunion folder under Multimedia?I would follow Steve's advice on where to place the photo's (and the other Reunion files). However, the issue with iPhoto is not import but rather export. You do not mention which version of iPhoto you are using so the location of "export" may in a different drop down menu. In iPhoto 5 go to share in the menu bar and drop down to export. Using the default setting, click export and from the next view select your folder. After this procedure, just designate the photo from your Reunion Multimedia menu.

Repeating...think export, not import when sending something from iPhoto to the folder you have selected for you mulimedia Reunion pictures.

Lil
22 July 2005, 02:35 PM
I would follow Steve's advice on where to place the photo's (and the other Reunion files). However, the issue with iPhoto is not import but rather export. You do not mention which version of iPhoto you are using so the location of "export" may in a different drop down menu. In iPhoto 5 go to share in the menu bar and drop down to export. Using the default setting, click export and from the next view select your folder. After this procedure, just designate the photo from your Reunion Multimedia menu.

Repeating...think export, not import when sending something from iPhoto to the folder you have selected for you mulimedia Reunion pictures.Thanks to Bob and Steve. It took me a while to sort this out, but I understand the process now. Do wish there were a simpler way to bring photos to the family card.

Lil

Michael
22 July 2005, 05:47 PM
Do wish there were a simpler way to bring photos to the family card.Hi Lil,
You can drag your pictures from iPhoto to a person's name button on the family card. This will link the picture to that person without having to use the Multimedia Window. Please note that you'll need to have the Reunion 8.06 maintenance update installed for this to work properly. You can find it here...

http://www.LeisterPro.com/doc/Version8/Updatev8.html

Frank Mitchell
22 July 2005, 09:08 PM
Hi Lil,
You can drag your pictures from iPhoto to a person's name button on the family card. This will link the picture to that person without having to use the Multimedia Window.Michael,

Interesting. Does this also put a copy of the photo in the designated Pictures folder or does Reunion link directly to iPhoto?

I am not using iPhoto yet so can't try it myself.

Thanks,
Frank

Michael
25 July 2005, 03:41 PM
...Does this also put a copy of the photo in the designated Pictures folder or does Reunion link directly to iPhoto?No, Reunion only links to the picture. It won't create any duplicates of the picture file.