PDA

View Full Version : Backing up procedures?

sandyhb
18 July 2005, 05:49 PM
I'm about to upgrade from OS 10.1.5 to Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger), which I plan to do via 'erase & install.' Obviously, this will mean I'll need to re-install Reunion 8 from my original disks.

I have an external firewire hard drive for saving and backing-up files. Should I just drag and drop my various files from the present Reunion 8 folder over to the xternal, and then move them back (into the Reunion folder) after the upgrade? Should I do this with ALL the various files/folders in the present Reunion folder, with the exception of the actual application file, manual, etc. (which I assume will all be put in place when I re-install Reunion).

Thanks for any advice/help.

SVass
19 July 2005, 07:10 PM
First, back up to a cd/dvd before you go any further. Afterwards place your Reunion files in your User/yourname/documents folder. Do NOT ever put any personal files inside the Application folder. Sam

martha
20 July 2005, 01:57 AM
I'm about to upgrade from OS 10.1.5 to Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger), which I plan to do via 'erase & install....Thanks for any advice/help.Sandy, I had just one problem when I got Tiger. All .tiff files were no longer readable on Tiger. I don't know why, nor do I know what to do about the problem. And it turned out that some of my .jpeg files require OSX 9 to open instead of them opening in OSX. I don't understand that either. But that was/is my experience in moving over. Maybe if one of the mavens knows how to repair/rectify the problem, s/he could let me know?

Martha in Israel

SGilbert
20 July 2005, 12:08 PM
Martha,

Sometimes OSX doesn't know what app to use for "stuff".

Highlight a .tif and/or .jpg; get info on it (apple i); pick your app---Preview would be my choice; click the button asking to use Preview for all similiar files.

That should do the trick!

Do the same for any other problem docs/files. It will not affect OS9 at all.

Ray Bowler
20 July 2005, 09:04 PM
I'm about to upgrade from OS 10.1.5 to Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger), which I plan to do via 'erase & install.' Obviously, this will mean I'll need to re-install Reunion 8 from my original disks.

I have an external firewire hard drive for saving and backing-up files. Should I just drag and drop my various files from the present Reunion 8 folder over to the xternal, and then move them back (into the Reunion folder) after the upgrade? Should I do this with ALL the various files/folders in the present Reunion folder, with the exception of the actual application file, manual, etc. (which I assume will all be put in place when I re-install Reunion)..Can you clone OS 10.1.2 disks? If so clone your present HD to the external firewire drive(doing it twice to diffreent partitions would be best or to seperate drive is better). Do the erase and install. Plug the Firewire drive in before restarting. On restart the system should ask if you want to migrate from another drive(another computer?). If you way yes Migration Assistant will place all of your programs and user data where they were originally. I only had a few minor things to go to be back where I started and none of the things were with my user data or my apps.

martha
21 July 2005, 10:05 AM
Sometimes OSX doesn't know what app to use for "stuff". Highlight a .tif and/or .jpg; get info on it (apple i); pick your app---Preview would be my choice; click the button asking to use Preview for all similiar files. That should do the trick!Wow! I had no idea that there was a possibility of changing applications! Thank you! That worked just fine with everything but my .tiff files. Those files were transferred to my new computer without anything in them, evidently. Does anyone know why that would occur? The pictures are there when I look at them on my CD backup, but won't show up in Tiger. Should I transfer each picture individually instead of transferring an entire file of pictures? Considering the fact that there are thousands, I fear that would take an inordinate amount of time and effort - IF it would work. Does anyone know why Tiger wouldn't accept the .tiff and .psd files? Many of the .jpg files also did not get across. Is there an efficient way to transfer the pictures without having to go through each of the thousands of pictures individually?

Thank you again for your help and teaching!!

Martha

SVass
21 July 2005, 06:12 PM
That worked just fine with everything but my .tiff files. Those files were transferred to my new computer without anything in them, evidently. Does anyone know why that would occur? The pictures are there when I look at them on my CD backup, but won't show up in Tiger. Should I transfer each picture individually instead of transferring an entire file of pictures?
Martha
Hi Martha-Let me suggest that you create a new subfolder on your computer and transfer the tiff files into the subfolder. Sometimes the OS just gets confused and thinks that you just wanted desktop access to files and did not really want a copy. Another way to make it copy them is to transfer them whilst depressing the option key. (This forces a duplication.) sam

pheski
22 July 2005, 08:10 PM
I'm about to upgrade ....I have an external firewire hard drive for saving and backing-up files. Should I just drag and drop...

There are only two kinds of computer users: those who have experienced a hard drive failure, and those who haven't YET.

This is a good place to point to the Take Control collection, which include a wonderful description of back-up methods and a great description of how to upgrade to Tiger.

Look here, you won't be sorry:

http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/?@80.lh5Fa0m241s@

martha
23 July 2005, 02:50 AM
Hi Martha-Let me suggest that you create a new subfolder on your computer and transfer the tiff files into the subfolder. Sometimes the OS just gets confused and thinks that you just wanted desktop access to files and did not really want a copy. Another way to make it copy them is to transfer them whilst depressing the option key. (This forces a duplication.) samThanks, Sam! Do you mean that while transferring the picture file from the CD to a new file on the computer desktop that I should drag and drop while depressing the option key? I'll give that a try!

Martha

SVass
23 July 2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks, Sam! Do you mean that while transferring the picture file from the CD to a new file on the computer desktop that I should drag and drop while depressing the option key? I'll give that a try!
Martha
Yes, if you drag and drop from any folder to any other while depressing the option key, it always forces a copy. sam