PDA

View Full Version : Genealogical Evidence, by Noel C. Stevenson

vineviz
15 July 2005, 02:13 PM
I wish that I had read Noel C. Stevenson's excellent book (Genealogical Evidence: A Guide to the Standard of Proof Relating to Pedigrees, Ancestry, Heirship and Family History) earlier in my genealogical endeavors.

I just finished reading the book this past weekend and I really enjoyed it. While it is not a light read, by any stretch, it thoroughly informed my view of genealogical research standards. I wish I had read it earlier, and that it was compulsory reading for anyone publishing a GEDCOM online! I could have avoided many errors of assumption and, potentially, avoided misleading other researchers by perpetuating incorrect and unsubstantiated information.

Anyway, the point of this post is to recommend the book if you haven't read it already.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0894121596/ref=ase_ancestorsatticA/102-1262567-8694509?v=glance&s=books

oKawa
10 October 2005, 08:51 PM
I'd have to check that out.

I'm Leery of giving information or making assumptions myself. I have a situation were my mother's birth certificate isn't filled out completely and the father was already married and supposedly living somewhere else [navy wwii], however, with my research so far their is only one possibility, and I don't know how to handle that in a genealogical standpoint, even though all my evidence points in one direction.