PDA

View Full Version : Death Certificates in Virginia

Cormac
31 December 2008, 03:20 AM
I have a relative that died in Virginia almost 20 years ago. From what I have been able to gather on the web, getting copies of a death certificate for genealogical purposes is next to impossible. I haven't had any problems like this from other states that I have had relatives die in. I tried Vitalchek and since I wasn't an immediate next of kin, no go.

Any suggestions?

p.s. I know where this relative is buried.

Terry Medlar
31 December 2008, 08:37 AM
Most states will not issue genealogical death certificates until the person has been dead for at least 50 years.

Cormac
31 December 2008, 07:57 PM
Most states will not issue genealogical death certificates until the person has been dead for at least 50 years.

That could explain it. I hadn't heard of the 50 year rule.

Bob White
02 January 2009, 01:52 PM
It's even worse in Virginia. Here's an excerpt from the Q&A page at their Vital Records website:

What records do you have?
Births and Deaths: 1853-1896 and June 1912 to present. Birth cards are no longer available.
Marriage Records: 1853 to the present.
Divorce Records: 1918 to the present.

Birth records are public information 100 years after the date of the event; death, marriage, and divorce records, 50 years after the event. Vital Records are available to immediate family members only- mother, father, husband, wife, child, brother, sister and grandparents with valid ID. Aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws, etc. cannot obtain a Vital Record.