PDA

View Full Version : Reporting missing pages on census

jackie aldridge
28 December 2008, 06:55 PM
Having checked the description of a census, it's obvious that some streets are missing from the pages that can be viewed on line on Ancestry. How do I report the missing pages and would it be possible to view them in a different formatt which might include them. I'd appreciate any help please.

ByronSpoon
28 December 2008, 07:25 PM
Having checked the description of a census, it's obvious that some streets are missing from the pages that can be viewed on line on Ancestry. How do I report the missing pages and would it be possible to view them in a different formatt which might include them. I'd appreciate any help please.A couple of alternatives to Ancestry come to mind:
(1) Do you own a library card? (Every researcher should). If so then ask your local public library if they provide access to the Heritage Quest online censuses. There are instances when one or the other (Ancestry vs Heritage Quest) had a cleaner copy of a given census page, or one may be missing a page. Also a name may be transcribed differently when indexed.
(2) Go to your nearest Family History Center (Mormon church) and scroll through copies of the census microfilm rolls yourself. Or if your library has a microfilm reader, your may be able to order the census film roll via interlibrary loan and you can scroll through it at your library.

Linda G
29 December 2008, 12:26 PM
Having checked the description of a census, it's obvious that some streets are missing from the pages that can be viewed on line on Ancestry. How do I report the missing pages and would it be possible to view them in a different formatt which might include them. I'd appreciate any help please.

For reporting the problem to Ancestry, if you click on 'Help' (on my screen, upper right corner, same line as 'Welcome, userid, Log Out, My Account...')

in the next window there are several tabs.

Clicking on "Email Ancestry Support" sets you up for sending a message to Ancestry. no guarantee about the quality of the response(s), but at least you know you've reported it.

I also recommend checking another copy of the census, as Byron says. Through our library, I have home online access to Heritage Quest, and it's come in handy many times.

Good luck!

jackie aldridge
29 December 2008, 03:18 PM
Thank you Byron and Linda for your replies. I am not familiar with Heritage Quest. Is this something that is just available in USA as I am in the UK?

Regards
Jackie

ByronSpoon
29 December 2008, 03:46 PM
Thank you Byron and Linda for your replies. I am not familiar with Heritage Quest. Is this something that is just available in USA as I am in the UK?I'm not sure. Heritage Quest might only be offered from US and Canadian libraries. Your best bet would be to ask your own library for information, or try contacting ProQuest (the parent company) and ask them about availability of the Heritage Quest product from UK libraries.
--> http://www.proquest.com/en-US/support/contact.shtml

Tom Robinson
30 December 2008, 01:15 AM
If so then ask your local public library if they provide access to the Heritage Quest online censuses.
If you're talking English census records then findmypast.com also does their own transcriptions.

www.findmypast.com

You can also try searching by e.g. surname instead of street name, or paging through the records by going directly to a page. The paper copies have indexes by area and the online services should offer these too--so again you can then jump directly to a page.