PDA

View Full Version : Gedcom

Derrick
10 July 2005, 02:46 PM
Does anyone know how to create a GEDCOM file (or even a family file) out of a plain text file? I have one sent to me as an attachment, but it didn't come across as "attached," but as just a VERY long e-mail.

Derrick

lauraf13
10 July 2005, 04:25 PM
Does anyone know how to create a GEDCOM file (or even a family file) out of a plain text file? I have one sent to me as an attachment, but it didn't come across as "attached," but as just a VERY long e-mail.Derrick,

A GEDCOM file is a plain text file, so it seems like you need to save the e-mail as a text file and delete any extraneous e-mail stuff leaving just the GEDCOM portion. If you have trouble doing this and you are willing to forward me the e-mail, I would be willing to try and save it to a file and make sure that it is readable by Reunion. I could then compress the file so that it would stay an attachment before sending it back to you.

Good Luck,
Laura

Derrick
10 July 2005, 07:19 PM
Derrick,
A GEDCOM file is a plain text file, so it seems like you need to save the e-mail as a text file and delete any extraneous e-mail stuff leaving just the GEDCOM portion. If you have trouble doing this and you are willing to forward me the e-mail, I would be willing to try and save it to a file and make sure that it is readable by Reunion. I could then compress the file so that it would stay an attachment before sending it back to you.Got it: saved it just as a .txt file and the imported it; thank you.

lauraf13
11 July 2005, 01:53 PM
Glad I could be of help, Laura