PDA

View Full Version : newbie question for extremely large family

antal28
09 July 2005, 03:57 PM
Not sure if anyone can help. Attempting to enter family history that can be traced back to 1410. My problem is that somewhere even starting off with something simple like my parents isn't working. Both mother & father show at the top of my card & next to each other on their cards. Yet, there is no indication on their card together that they are mother & father.

Got so far last night as entering my fathers parents and his 15 brothers & sisters. Again the same problem that it showed my fathers father as my grandfather, but no listing to indicate my grandmother. Is there an automatic link that is popping in on it's own? Or am I by accident doing something that creates or deletes a link that makes the parent, grandparent etc. show next to their names?

So confused last night that I totally deleted everything I had entered and started again. But, with the same problem I don't want to go on.

I'm an only child, however all family member at my parents level and back have large numbers. IE..my father is one of 15. So it's very important that I get this right from the start. Read and re-read the tutorial, but it isn't any help.

Greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Mikal

SGilbert
09 July 2005, 08:55 PM
Start with yourself---add your parents. Go to FIND-->RELATIVES. Click yourself. Now YOU become the "source".

Every so often you will need to do it again, as Reunion will not label people automatically; only when you ask it to.

AE Palmer
11 July 2005, 10:31 PM
First off, don't worry about the relationships just yet. Reunion is keeping the information properly, it just isn't showing the connections at the moment. Further, Reunion uses rectangular boxes for males and rounded boxes for females

joeswann
12 July 2005, 03:53 PM
I've got a screen capture movie I made that may help you. Compressed it is about 6.5 MB. If you would like just e-mail me at swannj1@k12tn.net and I'll find a way to get it to you (our e-mail system won't let files larger than 5 MB pass through).