PDA

View Full Version : SCSI & OSX

vineviz
01 July 2005, 11:32 AM
Out of curiosity, does XP recognize your SCSI devices? I can handle a yes answer. And I wonder what SCSI devices won't work with OS X? Or in Classic mode, for that matter?

ttl
01 July 2005, 12:00 PM
And I wonder what SCSI devices won't work with OS X? Or in Classic mode, for that matter?Speaking for myself, I had a third party SCSI card in my Mac that I used for running a Zip drive and a scanner. Drivers for the SCSI card were available when the switch to OS X started, but I think subsequent OS X releases broke the driver. I never bothered to try to find driver updates because my need for the zip drive has faded away, and I needed to replace the scanner for other reasons.

I guess we've gone off on a tangent from the original post! :o

STEVE
02 July 2005, 02:31 AM
And I wonder what SCSI devices won't work with OS X? Or in Classic mode, for that matter?I bought one of the scsi-->firewire "converters" and stuff seems to be working OK.

STEVE

cponeill
05 July 2005, 06:47 PM
...my 1992 HP LaserJet 4M, with an Axis adapter, is still churning out copies from the G5!...Tell me about your Axis adapter. I have an HP 4MV laser jet, which cost me a small fortune years ago - and which still works just fine. Not being able to use it, and not being independently wealthy, is one reason I've been hestitant to jump to OS X.

C. P. O'Neill

nanajoan
06 July 2005, 09:34 PM
Tell me about your Axis adapter. I have an HP 4MV laser jet, which cost me a small fortune years ago - and which still works just fine. Not being able to use it, and not being independently wealthy, is one reason I've been hestitant to jump to OS X.The device is Axis NPS 530/532 and it is an ethernet network print server. I got it in 1997 when I upgraded to a G3, and thanks to HP's drivers, I have not had any trouble using it with the present computers I have, including the G5 iMac. The company is Axis Communications, Inc. 4 Constitution Way, Suite G, Woburn, MA 01801-1030. 800-444-2947. Good luck and please keep me posted!

Joan Keith

Dave Wells
07 July 2005, 02:07 AM
I am using my Laserjet 4MP, which I have had for many years. When I upgraded to my G4 Cube, which has no SCSI ports, I simply bought the AsanteTalk interface which runs off an ethernet cable and plugs into the serial port on the printer. It still uses Appletalk to communicate and works fine.
Check it out at: http://www.asante.com/products/productsLvl3/AsanteTalk.asp (all one URL)

Ruth Ann
07 July 2005, 06:16 PM
The device is Axis NPS 530/532 and it is an ethernet network print server. I got it in 1997 when I upgraded to a G3, and thanks to HP's drivers, I have not had any trouble using it with the present computers I have, including the G5 iMac. The company is Axis Communications, Inc. 4 Constitution Way, Suite G, Woburn, MA 01801-1030. 800-444-2947. Good luck and please keep me posted!Does anyone know of a device for the Apple personal laserwriter 320. I have had it since 1994 and still works great but now have a Imac G5 and wonder if can get a device or adaptor that will hook up to Imac if they still have drivers that will work too.
Thanks Ruth Ann

vineviz
07 July 2005, 06:48 PM
Does anyone know of a device for the Apple personal laserwriter 320. I have had it since 1994 and still works great but now have a Imac G5 and wonder if can get a device or adaptor that will hook up to Imac if they still have drivers that will work too.The Asante product above should work for you. No new drivers needed.

If you follow this link, there is a discussion of folks using the 320 with iMacs about halfway down the page: http://www.macintouch.com/printing05.html

Keep in mind, though, that for just a bit more than the price of the AsanteTalk bridge (about $100) you could buy a perfectly good brand-new personal laser printer.

A new HP LaserJet 1020 retails for $180, has 1200 dpi resolution and prints 15 pages per minute. The Laserwriter 320 was 300 dpi and prints only 4 pages per minute.

DelbertCurlin
07 July 2005, 08:39 PM
I read the daily postings and there have been a number having to do with older Macs and SCSI devices. I was told I could not go beyond OS 9.2.2 with my G3 Power Mac Desktop 266 Mhz to which I have a Epson ES1200C scanner. How can I get use of the scanner since The only common device between it and my "new" Used G3 ibook 900 Mhz with OS X 10.3.9 is an ethernet connector. I have tried to connect without any luck. The ibook doesn't come up with the hard drive from the Desktop: it comes up with "servers", which gets no activity when selected. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

I have been a Reunion user since the very early days on an upgraded 512K. I am now retired for the last 15 years and can no longer keep spending money to buy new Mac gear when old equipment is not broken.

Delbert
Researching Curlin, McClish, Buckner,White, Brown, Brigman
My email is dlvcsr@mac.com

Frank Rader
08 July 2005, 06:12 PM
I have an Asante I'll sell you for less than new. It works. It's not new.

Steve W. Jackson
08 July 2005, 07:33 PM
I read the daily postings and there have been a number having to do with older Macs and SCSI devices. I was told I could not go beyond OS 9.2.2 with my G3 Power Mac Desktop 266 Mhz to which I have a Epson ES1200C scanner. How can I get use of the scanner since The only common device between it and my "new" Used G3 ibook 900 Mhz with OS X 10.3.9 is an ethernet connector. I have tried to connect without any luck. The ibook doesn't come up with the hard drive from the Desktop: it comes up with "servers", which gets no activity when selected. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

I have been a Reunion user since the very early days on an upgraded 512K. I am now retired for the last 15 years and can no longer keep spending money to buy new Mac gear when old equipment is not broken.If I understand your question correctly, you've got a SCSI connection on your old G3 to the Epson scanner and want to somehow use it from your iBook. I'm afraid it's not going to happen. Even if the scanner is connected by some other means, it's not going to be shareable. Sharing scanners isn't something that's common just yet.

If your budget supports it, however, you might look into a Canon scanner in the LiDE family. I see a Canon LiDE 35 scanner at the Circuit City web site now for $79.99, and you may find one cheaper elsewhere. It's essentially the same kind of scanner as a CanoScan model I bought several years ago and still keep around for occasional use. It's been pretty good and reliable for me when I've used it, but I set it aside in favor of my newer multifunction Epson that does printing, scanning and copying. I used it just a few weeks back at a family reunion (it has the advantage of being highly portable) with excellent results. And it connects via USB, which your iBook will support.

= Steve =

DelbertCurlin
08 July 2005, 10:01 PM
If I understand your question correctly, you've got a SCSI connection on your old G3 to the Epson scanner and want to somehow use it from your iBook...Steve thanks for the response. I didn't explain my delima very well. I am (was) trying to keep from having to rescan my many pictures and documents (hundreds) into the ibook. The G3 desktop is loaded with internal hard drive capacity but can only connect out by ethernet. Floppy disk is only other outmedia and the ibook can't read a floppy,just a CD. The idea of a multifunction sounds great (maybe I can sneak some of the wifes' egg money).

DanKilloran
09 July 2005, 10:22 AM
I read the daily postings and there have been a number having to do with older Macs and SCSI devices. I was told I could not go beyond OS 9.2.2 with my G3 Power Mac Desktop 266 Mhz to which I have a Epson ES1200C scanner. How can I get use of the scanner since The only common device between it and my "new" Used G3 ibook 900 Mhz with OS X 10.3.9 is an ethernet connector. I have tried to connect without any luck. The ibook doesn't come up with the hard drive from the Desktop: it comes up with "servers", which gets no activity when selected. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated. You need to do two things:
1) Get a "Crossover " Ethernet cable to connect your 2 computers.
2) Set up the TCP/IP environment correctly:
a) On the Desktop G3 (OS9) you need to set 3 things:
I) In the "AppleTalk" Control Panel, in the popup menu "Connect via:" select "Ethernet".
II) In the "TCP/IP" Control Panel, in the popup menu "Connect via:" select "Ethernet". In the popup menu "Configure:" select "Manually". In "IP Address:" type "192.168.1.2". In "Subnet Mask:" type "255.255.255.0". The remaining fields can be left blank.
III) In "Chooser" (Apple Menu) set "AppleTalk" to "Active".
b) On the iBook (OSX), in "System Preferences" (Apple Menu) click the "Network" Pane. In the popup menu "Show:", select "Built-in Ethernet". In the bar that says "TCP/IP PPPoE AppleTalk Proxies Ethernet", click on "TCP/IP". Set the popup menu "Configure IPv4:" to "Manually". In "IP Address:" type "192.168.1.1". In "Subnet Mask:" type "255.255.255.0". The remaining fields can be left blank. In the bar that says "TCP/IP PPPoE AppleTalk Proxies Ethernet", click on "AppleTalk". Check the checkbox that says "Make AppleTalk Active".

You might print out these instructions before trying them.

I would first boot the Desktop machine, then when it is up, boot the laptop. Wait about 5 minutes (OS-X is sometimes VERY slow to recognize a new connection.) You can then use either computer to initiate the connection. The other computer will then appear on the desktop of the one initiating, and you can use it in the Finder just like any external drive. Do your scanning on your Desktop machine as usual and transfer the results to the OS-X machine.

Dan Killoran

jcolby7777
11 July 2005, 06:06 PM
Dan you were most helpful with the detailed instructions! I have a similar situation, but before I follow your directions, please let me know whether to use the same settings on my G5 iMac (using Mac OSX 10.3.9) -- My old G3 desktop has 9.2.2. I plan to give my old G3 to my sister, but there's a lot of valuable stuff that I'd like to transfer to my G5 iMac. TIA!

latblumr
12 July 2005, 01:21 AM

I have been a Reunion user since the very early days on an upgraded 512K. I am now retired for the last 15 years and can no longer keep spending money to buy new Mac gear when old equipment is not broken.Delbert...and maybe others.

Last Fall I had my beige G3, 266 mz, upgraded to OS X 10.2.8, and had two USB ports added. I now use OS X exclusively, and use it along with an OS 10. 3 ++ iBook as well. That's as far as the G3 will now go, but it works fine for me. It may not help for your old scanner, but adding the USB ports helped me upgrade to a better printer, and I plan to purchase a new scanner as well.

Jackie Smith

Bob White
12 July 2005, 04:24 AM
Coming out of left field (as I often do)... As I recall, the 4V still had a parallel port. If that is the case, read on. You can use an HP External Jet Direct print server. Usually one can pick these up on eBay for well under $50. Set up is simple. Parallel cord from printer to Jet Direct then normal CAT5 ethernet cable from there either to the Mac or to your router or hub (or Airport Extreme). As far as I know, all HP printer drivers work with this device.

Tom Robinson
02 August 2005, 05:30 AM
Even if the scanner is connected by some other means, it's not going to be shareable. Sharing scanners isn't something that's common just yet.A bit late here, was waiting until the next time I fired the scanner up:

In Image Capture -> Preferences -> Sharing is an option to share a scanner...

Cheers

Steve W. Jackson
03 August 2005, 06:30 PM
A bit late here, was waiting until the next time I fired the scanner up:

In Image Capture -> Preferences -> Sharing is an option to share a scanner...This was mentioned in a recent article in MacAddict magazine. I'm not certain whether it was added as of Panther or Tiger, but my multifunction is hosted on a beige G3 that won't support either of those. As I've just recently bought a new iMac G5 with Tiger as its intended replacement, I intend to find out soon enough.

It's more or less irrelevant to this thread, since the apparent intent was to get images already scanned from one machine to another. But I'm looking forward to seeing if I can take advantage of it so that I never again have to move my PowerBook for those occasions when I want to use the scanner across the room. :)

= Steve =

DelbertCurlin
22 September 2005, 09:02 PM
I want to thank those who responded to my query back in July. I know it is kinda late but we had a minor catastrophe at my daughters' so I haven't been able to follow up on the scanner bit. but I did get the files transfered by way of an old scsi zip and a new (to me) usb zip. Now to follow up on the purchase of a scanner. Thanks again

Delbert
Researching McClish, Curlin, Buckner, White