PDA

View Full Version : How to contact living relatives?

Cormac
06 October 2008, 07:51 PM
I have been wondering how to contact living relatives after sending them a letter? What I do when I find a relative that I would like to contact for further help, I send them a letter with a self-addressed stamped envelope enclosed. My question is then, "What do you do after sending that package out, waiting a sufficient time to reply and receiving no reply?" Do you try another letter? Or what if you have a phone number, do you call them? I am really hesitant about that way.

SGilbert
06 October 2008, 09:00 PM
Absolutely---call them. Why wrack your nerves; find out right away.

Cormac
12 December 2008, 03:02 AM
Absolutely---call them. Why wrack your nerves; find out right away.

Would you use a service that could find out their phone number if the number was unlisted?

SGilbert
12 December 2008, 11:33 AM
Personally, likely not. That would imply "invasion of privacy" and compromise your intended purpose.

Cormac
12 December 2008, 07:24 PM
Personally, likely not. That would imply "invasion of privacy" and compromise your intended purpose.

I tend to agree with that. Which is why I haven't done it. Thanks for confirming the suspicions that I have.

theKiwi
12 December 2008, 10:41 PM
Would you use a service that could find out their phone number if the number was unlisted?

Probably - what's the worst that can happen - you upset someone who you until recently didn't know exisited or from the other side someone is upset by someone who they didn't know existed.

What's the best that could happen - they own the family bible with all the missing secrets recorded in it and are willing to share.

This is why I've had my genealogy online since about 1997 - whenever Brad Mohr came out with SparrowHawk and AOL allowed members to have pages - so people could find me and we can expand the family.

plink plink

Roger