PDA

View Full Version : Source for "Assumed" or "Presumes"?

xejn
03 October 2008, 02:13 PM
When you enter data that is either extrapolated, assumed or presumed, how do you notate that? Do you add a note to the field? Or perhaps have a catch all source?

On a similar note, what do you when you yourself are the source? Because you know fact about a contemporary relative (like a birthday), does your firsthand info count for anything? Or do you really need the birth-certificates of everyone.

Thanks,
Michael

AE Palmer
03 October 2008, 07:06 PM
When you enter data that is either extrapolated, assumed or presumed, how do you notate that? Do you add a note to the field? Or perhaps have a catch all source?

Michael

For what it is worth, my solution to this problem was to create a number of special sources: SELF -- used to add knowledge gained first hand; INFERENTIAL DATA -- used whenever I enter extrapolated info; UNDOCUMENTED INFORMATION -- used anytime I need to identify data that I cannot verify, but fits other data suggesting a fact, date, place or sibling; and last but not least is SUSPECT INFORMATION -- which allows me to enter data from sources that either conflict with other (more reliable) data or just plain makes little (or no) sense.

By using these special 'sources,' I can appropriately tag any data I wish and use the 'citiation memo' field to enter an explanation or reasoning for the label.

YMMV.

On a similar note, what do you when you yourself are the source? Because you know fact about a contemporary relative (like a birthday), does your firsthand info count for anything? Or do you really need the birth-certificates of everyone.

Thanks,
Michael

Just because you are the person compiling the genealogy does not mean your firsthand knowledge is worth less than any other source. Thus, I would be a tad suspicious of a product that did not include such data. So long as your info is properly identified and cited, it BELONGS in your genealogy.

rnkiii
03 October 2008, 09:07 PM
"Based on other facts gained from census searches and family memories."
and
"I and My Wife attended the event" (Actual names removed here)
are two of the 'personal' source references we use in our documentation. As was stated previously, you are as good as source as anyone else.

Bob K. rnkiii

Frank Mitchell
03 October 2008, 09:45 PM
what do you when you yourself are the source? Because you know fact about a contemporary relative (like a birthday), does your firsthand info count for anything? Or do you really need the birth-certificates of everyone.
If your information is really first- hand it is as good as anything else.

But, although the birthday of one of my grandfathers was *always* celebrated on a particular date by the whole family, I found out later that the date was incorrect.

It turned out later that he didn't know his own birth date.

Frank