PDA

View Full Version : Naming convention for grandparents

Justin J. Rebbert
24 September 2008, 11:24 AM
I have been looking at some genealogy magazines, and seen people mention, for example, their "5g-grandparent", if I remember correctly. I assume the "5g" refers to how many times "great" would be written, is that correct? Is this an accepted way of referring to people? And I would assume you can use it for aunts and uncles, as well?

joeswann
24 September 2008, 07:25 PM
That's exactly how Reunion does it when you have it identify relationships for a person.

Of course, there seems to be some disagreement as to whether the sister of your grandmother is your great aunt or grandaunt. I grew up saying great aunt. Reunion supports both.

Justin J. Rebbert
24 September 2008, 10:14 PM
One other question...In identifying a relationship, beyond cousin degrees and removes, is there such a thing as "inside" or "outside"? Roger Rabbit used these terms in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" but I haven't been able to find out what they mean, and I'm starting to think it was just nonsense talk by a fictional cartoon.

Dennis J. Cunniff
25 September 2008, 12:55 AM
(In identifying a relationship, beyond cousin degrees and removes, is there such a thing as "inside" or "outside"? Roger Rabbit used these terms in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" but I haven't been able to find out what they mean, and I'm starting to think it was just nonsense talk by a fictional cartoon.

If you search in the Reunion manual for "cousin", the first "hit" will be to a page that explains the difference between a cousin "in the descendancy" and a cousin "in the ascendancy".

Not being a Roger Rabbit expert, I can't swear that that corresponds to the distinction he was making (or if he was, which one is "inside" and which one is "outside"), but it's probably worth reading the manual's discussion anyway, as "in the ascendancy" and "in the descendancy" is the data needed to describe the cousin relationship precisely, beyond degrees and removes.

A really detailed explanation is often helpful: "President George Herbert Walker Bush is the 9th cousin once removed in the ascendancy of singer Grace Slick of the Jefferson Starship via common descent from Jonathan Fairbanks and his wife Grace Smith." or "Singer Grace Slick of the Jefferson Starship is the 9th cousin once removed in the descendancy of President George Herbert Walker Bush via common descent from Jonathan Fairbanks and his wife Grace Smith.".