PDA

View Full Version : Documenting census records as sources

Justin J. Rebbert
23 September 2008, 11:27 PM
How should I be documenting census records as sources?

The census records I've been using so far I have found through Ancestry.com. Reunion 9, as you know, offers these fields for a census source: Title, Locality, Date, Media Type, Location of Source, and Date Viewed. What exactly should I put in each field?

Should I have a different source for each census page I use? One source for the entire 1930 Census? One source for the 1930 Census in New York, another for the 1930 Census in Baltimore, etc.?

theKiwi
24 September 2008, 12:01 AM
I create a new source for each page of the census that I have. That way I can file the printed pages by Source number and be able to immediately find them simply by looking for the source number.

Since Reunion allows for an infinite number of sources in a family file it makes no sense (to me) to economise on the use of them to just have a blanket source that says say "1930 Census", when in the fulness of research time this might come to be representing 500 different pages from the census - from which finding any one particular page isn't going to be very easy.

You can see an example of a source from my Reunion that has been put online here

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/showsource.php?sourceID=S759&tree=Roger

plink plink

Roger

Linda G
24 September 2008, 09:02 PM
And I make each census year the source, and include the location, household specifics, etc. in the citation detail. I don't want a gazillion Reunion sources, and I use a simple enough filing system for images of the original census pages: [census year: state] with the filename being year-state-county-locality-ED-image no.

It is up to you to decide what will work best for you. What's important is that you record all the info needed to describe the citation in the [source + citation detail], including the fact that you viewed the images on ancestry.com...so you need to include the website & database name, etc.

In my system, the 1930 census on Ancestry is one source, the 1930 census on Heritage Quest is another, and if I viewed the census in some other form, like a microfilm publication or a printed publication, those would be other sources.

Remember you can add/substract/define new source fields as you wish for your census source type. It's a wonderfully flexible system!

Bob White
26 September 2008, 02:00 PM
As an alternative, since I am one of the minority that doesn't use the source feature in Reunion, I have a standard fill-in phrase that I paste in the notes field. It goes: Federal Census: Year: xxxx; Place: xxxxxxx; Roll: nnn; Page: nnnn; District: nnnn; Image: nnnnn.

Karen Peters
27 September 2008, 01:50 PM
And I'm one of the nutty people who creates a new source for every single family, even if they're on the same page. An example would be "John Smith Family, 1900 US Census, Nowhere Co., KY, Dwelling 100, Household 105, 25 June 1900, Series M100, Roll 1000, Page 100."

STEVE
29 September 2008, 08:46 PM
And I'm one of the nutty people who creates a new source for every single family, even if they're on the same page. An example would be "John Smith Family, 1900 US Census, Nowhere Co., KY, Dwelling 100, Household 105, 25 June 1900, Series M100, Roll 1000, Page 100."

Karen, If you are going to do this, at least do it in proper, descending, order:

1900 US Census, Nowhere Co., KY, Dwelling 100, Household 105 (John Smith Family), 25 June 1900, Series M100, Roll 1000, Page 100.

Personally, my source would be: 1900 US Census, Nowhere Co., KY, 25 June 1900, p 100. with the other data as part of a memo to the specific persons card, probably including a line number.

One bit of obstification needs to be cleared up. 'Series M100, Roll 1000' is not part of a census record. It is part of a collections coding, so it MIGHT add something like "FHC (Family History Center), Series M100, Roll 1000".

Hope this helps, STEVE

Karen Peters
30 September 2008, 08:24 AM
Karen, If you are going to do this, at least do it in proper, descending, order:

1900 US Census, Nowhere Co., KY, Dwelling 100, Household 105 (John Smith Family), 25 June 1900, Series M100, Roll 1000, Page 100.

Personally, my source would be: 1900 US Census, Nowhere Co., KY, 25 June 1900, p 100. with the other data as part of a memo to the specific persons card, probably including a line number.

Hope this helps, STEVE

STEVE,

My emphasis is on the people, not the year, so I choose to put the Head of Household first. If I were to look at my source index (don't usually do this, I use the search function instead), census entries would be grouped by the Head of Household, not year, making it easier to tell who was where when. Your method emphasizes the year, so if I were to look at the citation, I would need to look through to the middle of the citation to find the person's name. All methods have advantages and disadvantages, mine works for me (I did mention that I was nutty!) Others think differently and choose different methods. I respect that.

Cheers!