PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of PAF 2.3.1 file?

Dave Wells
18 August 2008, 06:23 AM
I did some research for a neighbor many years ago, about the time I switched to Reunion. Unfortunately, the woman took no further action, and only now wants to pursue her family research. She has only the PAF file that I provided, and I no longer have the software or hardware to open this file.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to migrate from PAF for the Mac (2.3.1) to either a Gedcom, PAF for the PC, or Reunion format?

Bob White
18 August 2008, 02:35 PM
Possibly PAWriter will open the file. Check it out at http://www.lanopalera.net./Genealogy/AboutPAWriter.html. I'd test it but I don't have any old PAF files to try it out on.

Don Peacock
18 August 2008, 09:34 PM
I did some research for a neighbor many years ago, about the time I switched to Reunion. Unfortunately, the woman took no further action, and only now wants to pursue her family research. She has only the PAF file that I provided, and I no longer have the software or hardware to open this file.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to migrate from PAF for the Mac (2.3.1) to either a Gedcom, PAF for the PC, or Reunion format?

I still use PAF 2.3.1 for several of my family lines, but use Reunion for my own personal family. I often make gedcoms for others, or take their gedcoms and import them into one of my PAF files or into Reunion. With the older PAF I get a lot of garbage along with the family files, but not when I import into Reunion. If you emailed me the file I would be glad to convert it to a gedcom file for you.

Dave Wells
19 August 2008, 06:48 PM
I did some further investigation and testing, only to realize that this file PAF file is for one of the later PC versions, which is contained in a single file, similar to the old Mac version.
So I fired up Parallels, installed a free version of PAF 5.0 from the LDS, and was able to open the file and generate a Gedcom for importation to Reunion.

Thanks for your offers of help, and suggestions. Problem solved!

Dave Wells
12 December 2008, 01:21 AM
I still use PAF 2.3.1 for several of my family lines, but use Reunion for my own personal family. I often make gedcoms for others, or take their gedcoms and import them into one of my PAF files or into Reunion. With the older PAF I get a lot of garbage along with the family files, but not when I import into Reunion. If you emailed me the file I would be glad to convert it to a gedcom file for you.

Hi Don - I just got another old PAF file that needs converting, and appears to be from 2.10 How can I get in touch to send it to you? Hoping you are still available.

m_c_hill
26 June 2015, 01:29 PM
I just now came into possession of some old PAF files that seem to have been created in 2.3. They were from a PC, but if I understand it correctly can also be opened on a Mac. I do have an old iBook that can run 2.3.1, but can't find a copy of the program. If anyone still has one that they would be willing to send me, I would appreciate it. Thanks. Marian