PDA

View Full Version : Windoz Cousins

Ed Dorroh
27 June 2005, 10:24 PM
As we all know, 90% of the world has yet to discover the MacIntosh computer and Reunion. So, if you were to bequeath your Reunion database to a Windoz cousin upon your death, how would you get "all" of the information transferred to him/her?

I have FTM on an old Windoz laptop, and have been experimenting with GEDCOMs as a medium (yes, we all know that there are serious limitations). Using Reunion's Export window I have been able to convert some of the so-called non-standard tags to those that FTM will recognize (e.g. change NAMS to _NAMS). I have been unsuccessful in going into FTM and forcing it to recognize other non-standard tags, even though FTM uses "additional Facts"

theKiwi
27 June 2005, 10:34 PM
So, if you were to bequeath your Reunion database to a Windoz cousin upon your death, how would you get "all" of the information transferred to him/her?
I have already discussed with my 14 year old neice about her being my genealogy "apprentice", even though she's in Australia and I'm in the USA.

When the time comes she will get the data and the iBook, or whatever portable Mac I have at the time to run it on. I think she's clever enough to just keep using the Mac :-)

Cheers

Roger

Ed Dorroh
29 June 2005, 10:21 PM
Roger,
Thanks - I hadn't thought of that "obvious" solution - in fact, it may be cheaper in the long run to do just that!
My immediate problem though is a "surname historian" for the Dorroh line. Since I am working "up" my family tree, only some of my information is of interesting to him. Right now, I am having to send him paper copies of everything that I learn about my Dorroh ancestors so he can put it in his FTM database.
Ed Dorroh