PDA

View Full Version : How to order Civil War pension records?

treetoad
12 August 2008, 11:38 AM
I've looked all over the internet for a solution to this problem and haven't found a clear answer yet. Perhaps one of the Reunion users as some experience with this.

PROBLEM 1: I want to order the complete file of my ancestors Civil War pension records, but I do not know which pension "number" to use when submitting my order online to NARA: the "application no." or "certificate no."

PROBLEM 2: There are two sets of these numbers--one for the "Invalid" and one for the "Widow". Which do I use?

I have found copies of the pension index card at Ancestry and Footnote, so I know the veteran's name, company, regiment, etc. On the line marked "Invalid", there is a filing date of "1890, May 8", an Application No. and a Certificate No. On the next line marked "Widow", there is no filing date, no widow's name, but there is an Application No. and a Certificate No.

When I order the pension record, should I give NARA the number associated with the Invalid or the Widow, and which number should I use, the "Application" number or the "Certificate" number?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Betty Cassidy
12 August 2008, 09:17 PM
I've looked all over the internet for a solution to this problem and haven't found a clear answer yet. Perhaps one of the Reunion users as some experience with this.

PROBLEM 1: I want to order the complete file of my ancestors Civil War pension records, but I do not know which pension "number" to use when submitting my order online to NARA: the "application no." or "certificate no."

PROBLEM 2: There are two sets of these numbers--one for the "Invalid" and one for the "Widow". Which do I use?

I have found copies of the pension index card at Ancestry and Footnote, so I know the veteran's name, company, regiment, etc. On the line marked "Invalid", there is a filing date of "1890, May 8", an Application No. and a Certificate No. On the next line marked "Widow", there is no filing date, no widow's name, but there is an Application No. and a Certificate No.

When I order the pension record, should I give NARA the number associated with the Invalid or the Widow, and which number should I use, the "Application" number or the "Certificate" number?

Any help would be really appreciated!

I have ordered this kind of file from NARA. The pension file number is the one right after Invalid (the Application Number). I printed out the index card from ancestry, just to be sure of the right number, and sent that in along with Form NATF 85(for full pension file). You can also order online now with a credit card.

http://www.archives.gov/research/order/orderonline.html

Good luck
Betty

ljirwin42
17 August 2008, 12:28 PM
If you want to obtain mulitple files, you may want to contact a professional genealogist in the Washington, DC, area. I recently had a client who needed more than a half dozen files and was able to provide them for much less than the NARA fees. You can find professionals at: www.apgen.org. Click on "Chapters", then on the resulting map choose "National Capital Area."

Lee James Irwin
FamilyMatters Research
FamilyMatters2u@gmail.com

John
18 August 2008, 06:33 PM
Over the last 3 years I have ordered 8 of these Civil War Pension Files from NARA via their online site. In no cases did I have the file number. All my requests were successfully filled by NARA.

I start by making sure it is listed at Ancestry.Com's "Civil War Pension Index: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934". I use the Ancestry site to get available info re the Company, Regiment, State etc.

I've never been able to decipher the file numbers via Ancestry. But with the rest of the information NARA was always able to fill my request. Many have been invaluable; several have been indispensable. The price has now jumped from $37.50 to $75.00 for a full file.

My biggest problem has been waiting for them to arrive!

Good luck,
John
_____

treetoad
19 August 2008, 06:51 PM
Thank you all for giving me some tips on ordering the Civil War pension files. I placed the order several days ago using NARA's online ordering form. The form has a "comments" box where I was able to list all the pension numbers on each index card. I checked my account on NARA today and the webpage lists my order status as "Servicing", which means they are actively researching the files and making photocopies (if I'm lucky). I agree with John that the hardest part is waiting for the manilla envelope to arrive. I paid $150 for two complete packets in hopes that a 20-year-old brick wall will finally be broken through. Thanks again!