PDA

View Full Version : Printing a genealogy "book"

FRED DYKHUIZEN
27 June 2005, 01:43 PM
I originally set out a few months ago with the objective of publishing a "Family Tree Chart" through Reunion's source. Now, with so many photos, stories and lineage records, of and from my ancestors..... I am thinking about publishing a book instead.

Can anyone offer directions to getting this done (procedures and sources)?

Can this be done via iPhoto's book publishing capabilities. I have limited computer capability..... OSX 10.4.1 and iPhoto v5.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Researching families: Dykhuizen (Dijkhuizen) Lafayette, IN and The Netherlands....Dobard in LA...Scholl in Liverpool and Galveston, TX.... Alfred Morgan in Germany and England.

joeswann
27 June 2005, 10:42 PM
You should check out Edgar Dohmann's site. He has a page posted where he tells about a book he wrote for his family. It has some sample chapters available for download in PDF. The URL is:

http://www.ortech-engr.com/users/dohmann/sandebeck.html

Also, a book you might find useful is "Producing a Quality Family History" by Patricia Law Hatcher.

Good luck!

glenidol
18 September 2005, 05:55 AM
I originally set out a few months ago with the objective of publishing a "Family Tree Chart" through Reunion's source. Now, with so many photos, stories and lineage records, of and from my ancestors..... I am thinking about publishing a book instead.

Can anyone offer directions to getting this done (procedures and sources)?

Can this be done via iPhoto's book publishing capabilities. I have limited computer capability..... OSX 10.4.1 and iPhoto v5.Several of my Mac User group members are using the new Apple "Pages" program to lay out their family history book. Pages is part of the iWork package. I'm very impressed with what they have achieved. The beauty of the program is it works in nicely with iPhoto. If you're not an expert on layout Pages is the one for you.
I saw a demo in Regent St London HQ and was impressed with it then. As soon as I get to an upgrade of the dear old G3 to a G4 I plan on buying Pages. If you're not an expert on layout Pages is the one for you.

Jude

FRED DYKHUIZEN
21 September 2005, 08:43 AM
Thanks, Jude. I have iWork '05 .... but did not really check it out. I will now!

Thanks, again

Fred

edohmann
06 October 2005, 06:58 PM
You should check out Edgar Dohmann's site. He has a page posted where he tells about a book he wrote for his family. It has some sample chapters available for download in PDF. The URL is:

http://www.ortech-engr.com/users/dohmann/sandebeck.htmlThanks for the plug, Joe. I will also be happy to field direct questions from anyone about my experiences if they are interested. Just send me an off-line message to edgar@dohmann.com

Edgar

rsmothers
07 October 2005, 08:49 PM
I've recently published a couple of genealogy books each divided into two main chapters which turned out very well, with photos, etal.

Chapter One (of the first book) shows all the known ancestors of my mother and her siblings. This report was a "Ahnentafel Report". Chapter Two shows all the known descendants of my mother's paternal grandfather. This report was the "Register Report" and therefore shows all the aunts, uncles cousins and then some.

The total book, which I put together using "Pages", from "iWork" included the following:

Cover Page with Family photo
Table of Contents
Directions for Use of This Book--Explains the Ahnentafel & Register Reports
The Name Abernethy ( My Mother's maiden name)
The Name Owen ( My Mother's mother's maiden name)
Military War Service (A list of War's and relatives who served in each)
Chapter One
with Sources and Index
Photographs
Chapter Two
with Sources and Index

Once completed you convert it to PDF, burn a DVD and take it to your local printer and there's your book.

Bob

DelbertCurlin
25 January 2006, 06:42 PM
I just read the posting of RSMOTHERS in March 2006 on this subject. I am totally in the dark about how to go about writing the pages of narrative data that must (?) be included in such a book. I would love to have a template. As a novice in this it would be a great help. Do any of you have a good "easy to follow" suggestion? I just bought iwork 05 a month or so ago so I have Pages; and Photoshop (which I bought a long time ago). My laptop is a 900 mzh G3 w/40 GB OS 10.3.9. and a G4 PowerPC 466 mzh with OS 10.3.9. I also just purchased an Epson Stylus CX4800 Scanner/Printer so I should be able to get photos in thru photoshop. (?)

Delbert
dlvcsratmacdotcom
Searching Curlin, White, McClish, Buckner, Rosser, Bushart