PDA

View Full Version : familysearch.org pilot free record searches

John Yates
22 July 2008, 01:03 PM
A LDS affiliated genealogist pointed out to me that currently on familysearch.org there is a link "Record Search pilot with new U.S. and U.K. census indexes".

They have a new search interface they are working on (I like it), and are actively putting up more databases there. If it is only partially there, it tells you what percent of it is there.

I got a lot of new data from the Philadelphia Death Records of the late 1800s. I found a handful of images of death records of ancestors that contained cause of death, age, address, and what cemetery they are buried in. It gave me a lot of information and leads.

It lists the databases in there, have a look to see if any would benefit your research.

And the link on the familysearch.org page "Help create free public access to U.S. census indexes and more" tells you how you can volunteer to help them index their data on line. And it will remain free. (I saw a presentation about the method in case you are worried about data integrity if anyone can do it. They have several people do the same data, if it agrees, they keep it, if it disagrees, it goes to one of their professional "referees").

Amy
22 July 2008, 08:19 PM
I found a lot of new data on this site also. For me, the site doesn't work well with Apple's Safari browser, but it works perfectly with FireFox 3.

dfilpus
23 July 2008, 09:55 AM
I found a lot of new data on this site also. For me, the site doesn't work well with Apple's Safari browser, but it works perfectly with FireFox 3.

Ditto for me. Along with a number of other events, I found a great-grand parent's marriage record, which extended my treetops one level.

FireFox 3.0.1 works well. The only drawback is the inability to copy the text.

John Yates
23 July 2008, 01:35 PM

Not sure which text you are referring to, but in some windows there is a "Copy to Clipboard" which can then be pasted into TextEdit or your favorite word processing program. I've used that feature, esp. when I want to capture the text summary about the image, or no image is available for the information.

dfilpus
23 July 2008, 02:42 PM
Not sure which text you are referring to, but in some windows there is a "Copy to Clipboard" which can then be pasted into TextEdit or your favorite word processing program. I've used that feature, esp. when I want to capture the text summary about the image, or no image is available for the information.

I missed the "Copy to Clipboard". I was trying to select and copy from the text summary. To get a data from the text summary into Reunion by copy/paste is a multistep process.

1. Copy to Clipboard
2. Paste into an open TextEdit window.
3. Select the data.
4. Copy the data.
5. Paste into the appropriate Reunion field.

This is better than retyping (and rechecking the data), but is less convenient than copy/paste.

Thank you for the help.

Paul Dupuy
27 July 2008, 12:41 AM
FireFox 3.0.1 works well. The only drawback is the inability to copy the text.I'm not sure if it's a recent update or not, but I find in firefox when I highlight a section of text, then single-click and hold anywhere in the highlighted area, I can then drag that text to any other application (including Reunion fields).

dfilpus
27 July 2008, 08:58 AM

I'm not sure if it's a recent update or not, but I find in firefox when I highlight a section of text, then single-click and hold anywhere in the highlighted area, I can then drag that text to any other application (including Reunion fields).

The familysearch.org search results windows are not text. What looks like text is a flash generated graphic, which cannot be selected. You have to use the Copy to Clipboard button which writes the text equivalent of the flash window to the clipboard.

carolyn gilkey
03 August 2008, 08:14 PM
How do I download the flash reader on Firefox to enable the use of the new data bases?