PDA

View Full Version : Using FTP to move Reunion cards to a website

martha
24 June 2005, 10:37 AM
I cannot find it in the archives, but I think Steve Jackson mentioned using some shareware to move webcards to a website via FTP. Today I was looking at widgets available on the Apple site. There is shareware [costing something like $5 US] called FTP drop. Has anyone used this and is it any good? The widget information is brief at best but it mentioned automatically detecting changes in information. That seemed too good to be true. If anyone knows anything about this, the information would be most welcome!

Martha Lev-Zion

Urs Geiser
24 June 2005, 05:03 PM
I cannot find it in the archives, but I think Steve Jackson mentioned using some shareware to move webcards to a website via FTP. Today I was looking at widgets available on the Apple site. There is shareware [costing something like $5 US] called FTP drop. Has anyone used this and is it any good? The widget information is brief at best but it mentioned automatically detecting changes in information. That seemed too good to be true. If anyone knows anything about this, the information would be most welcome!

Martha Lev-Zion
I have no experience with this widget.

I use freeware FUGU (http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/) for the convenience of a graphical interface, but command line ftp (and its more secure cousin sftp) is already built into the Mac OS.

No need to pay extra.

Steve W. Jackson
24 June 2005, 06:28 PM
I doubt it was me mentioning a shareware FTP program, since I seldom use any graphical program (I'm a command-line user from waaaaay back!) and would probably not pay for anything.

I didn't see anything about FTP Drop and detecting changes, though I did see where it says it overwrites duplicates on upload. Any FTP program should do that without question, or offer you a configuration choice to prompt for overwrite permission.

When I last used a graphical FTP program, it was RBrowser Lite, which was free and can be found via VersionTracker.com. But the problem is always going to be one of deciding whether a file has really changed its content rather than just its modification date/time. That was the entire reason that I wrote the FolderUpdater utility to begin with.

= Steve =

martha
28 June 2005, 02:14 AM
I doubt it was me mentioning a shareware FTP program, since I seldom use any graphical program (I'm a command-line user from waaaaay back!) and would probably not pay for anything.
When I last used a graphical FTP program, it was RBrowser Lite, which was free and can be found via VersionTracker.com. But the problem is always going to be one of deciding whether a file has really changed its content rather than just its modification date/time. That was the entire reason that I wrote the FolderUpdater utility to begin with.Thanks, Steve. I previously downloaded your FolderUpdater. I have not yet put my family files on the net, so I haven't tried it yet. I was trying to find something good and reliable to put my Reunion files on the space given to me by my University.

Martha