PDA

View Full Version : Same-Sex Marriage

Neil
16 July 2008, 09:35 PM
Perhaps I've missed this, but is there a special way to enter into Reunion a same-sex marriage (leaving aside any debate over the legality of the marriage)?

I find that for someone who has been married previously to a person of the opposite sex, and then divorced, if I click to Add Spouse, I am offered the option of Male or Female, and, if I click the same gender, the program doesn't object. I can have two males and a box above to record date and place of marriage.

But I haven't ventured further into Reports or Charts. Is there anything else I need to do to get the program to simply accept that this person has married someone of the same gender? Or is it automatically taken care of?

ByronSpoon
16 July 2008, 10:28 PM
Perhaps I've missed this, but is there a special way to enter into Reunion a same-sex marriage (leaving aside any debate over the legality of the marriage)?
... [details omitted] ...
But I haven't ventured further into Reports or Charts. Is there anything else I need to do to get the program to simply accept that this person has married someone of the same gender? Or is it automatically taken care of?A quick test case using Reunion 9 shows reports that include a same-sex marriage should pose no problem for you. Sex of both spouses is reflected correctly (assuming you have designated that sex be shown in the report) and marriage date/place will also be included (assuming you have designated that marriage information be shown in the report). I have not tried a test case for charts but see no reason why this should behave any differently.

But understand that for family cards, by standard convention one spouse will appear on the left side of the family card (traditionally the male although sex can be changed) and one spouse will appear on the right side (traditionally the female but sex can be changed). Sex colors on the family card name buttons will be correctly adjusted. But sex colors in some of the web card styles are not currently shown correctly for same sex marriages. For the "default" webcard style colors work ok. But most (all other?) webcard styles do not, and will instead use the left side/right side convention for sex colors).