PDA

View Full Version : Maiden Names

Donald A. Sage
23 June 2005, 10:24 PM
On the Family card: ---When a widow is married for a second time, or a subsequent time, do you show her maiden name first, perhaps in brackets, and then her previous married name or names, or just her last married name, or none of the above but keep her maiden name only? Thank you. Don Sage

SGilbert
23 June 2005, 10:34 PM
Check out "which surname" thread in this same catagory (http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=403). Several opinions listed there (one of which is mine). All are workable, you just need to be consistant.

DanKilloran
25 June 2005, 12:11 PM
Check out "which surname" thread in this same catagory (http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=403). Several opinions listed there (one of which is mine). All are workable, you just need to be consistant.AND document which technique you use someplace where the user is likely to see it!

Dan Killoran

Ilene Murray
25 June 2005, 06:17 PM
On the Family card: ---When a widow is married for a second time, or a subsequent time, do you show her maiden name first, perhaps in brackets, and then her previous married name or names, or just her last married name, or none of the above but keep her maiden name only?While the thread on how to list names is interesting, it does not address a serious underlying problem in marriages. In good genealogy, women should be listed by their maiden names. We all know how hard it is to find women who can disappear when they marry. If you list your women by their married names, you make it impossible for them to be traced. ALWAYS list women by maiden name in your databases so that they can be tracked backwards. There are multiple ways in Reunion for you to note marriages, remarriages, divorces, widowhood, etc. That surname field for a woman should be the name she was born with; not names she might have acquired via marriage.

Ilene Murray
St. Louis, MO

SGilbert
25 June 2005, 10:36 PM
Whatever works for you!

Personally, and what works for ME is:

Surname Middlename
MaidenName/MarriedName1/MarriedName2/etc.

She retains her maiden name and is "linked" to husbands.

metfordplatt
28 June 2005, 06:17 AM
You never list a woman by anything else BUT her maiden name! Period. That's the way genealogy works. Michel

SGilbert
28 June 2005, 12:06 PM
"I say tomato, you say tomatoe". Whatever rings your chimes!

Amelia
28 June 2005, 07:38 PM
You can "do whatever you want" with women's names IF you don't plan to publicly post or share your data. Otherwise, using multiple surnames only causes confusion. You may have your own system for listing a woman's names, but most researchers will expect only the maiden name and won't know what the others are. Further, your data won't show up when it should when others search on sites like WorldConnect, Ancestry, or GenCircles, because people search on maiden names. Finally, as I think someone noted before, putting in slashes will break your gedcom, and you won't be able to share in many ways.

SGilbert
28 June 2005, 09:27 PM
1) If a "researcher" has had more than 5 minutes of experience, he/she KNOWS what the other names are for!
2) I have never, nor will I ever share my info with total strangers! My information is for any and all family members only, and is always freely available to them. It will NEVER be uploaded for others to financially profit!
3) I have NEVER had a "broken" gedcom, and have sent literly hundreds of them!
4) I have attempted several times to let this "sleeping dog lie", but I WILL NOT be attacked as being wrong. There is NO one right way!

vineviz
28 June 2005, 11:17 PM
There IS a right way to handle this. What there is NOT is a rule that says that YOU have to do it the right way. But there is a right way for a reason.

STEVE
28 June 2005, 11:24 PM
You never list a woman by anything else BUT her maiden name! Period. That's the way genealogy works.The standard, for very many years, has been MAIDEN/1ST MARRIED SURNAME/2ND "/3RD"... This standard is also often used in cases of name changes, at least for the generation in which the name changed or was in some way significant (a split in the family or whatever). Only since the age of computers have we started "just" entering the womans/mans maiden name ---- AND THAT IS BECAUSE THE COMPUTER IS KEEPING TRACK OF THE : MAIDEN/1ST MARRIED SURNAME/2ND "/3RD"... FOR US!!!

STEVE

Donald A. Sage
02 July 2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks for all the answers to my question. I appreciated the different opinions on the subject and it is apparent that the Maiden name itself prevails, with suffix modification permitted in certain circumstances. Don Sage.
Searching: Sage, Gahring, Jewett, Shead(Shed).