PDA

View Full Version : Family research

FRED DYKHUIZEN
23 June 2005, 08:30 AM
I am researching the family of Paul C. Dobard born about 1873 in Louisiana. He was married to Lily Schwartz....and raised a family in New Orleans.

I reached a dead end....but do have marriage data 30June1894. Throughly researched through Ancestry.com subscription to no avail.

Can actual birth and/or death certificates be viewed online?

I am new at this... and would appreciate help re: next step to take. Thanks...

Derrick
23 June 2005, 09:06 AM
I've done some Louisiana research, so here's a bit of what I know. New Orleans data seems to be very accessible on-line compared to lots of other places.

NOLA Birth/death/marriage digests are available via the USGenWeb for free. Here's a search engine:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/la/orleans/orl_search.htm
and here's the project for the whole state, which has lots of great stuff on it:
http://www.lagenweb.org/
You probably already have much of this from Ancestry, but there is other stuff here as well.

To order vital records, go to here:

http://www.sec.state.la.us/archives/archives/archives-library.htm

You cannot see them on-line; download a .pdf form to download and mail in. There is more data on the certificates than the index gives--parent's names, for instance. This is where you go to order Confederate records and pension applications as well as copies of birth/death/marriage certificates. They all seem to be cheaper here than at other sites which will order vital recs. for you, or places like the Daughters of the Confederacy. If you have more than 5 to order, don't put them on separate forms. This is, btw, only for records more than 100 years old.

Best of luck!

STEVE
24 June 2005, 03:18 PM
I am researching the family of Paul C. Dobard born about 1873 in Louisiana. He was married to Lily Schwartz....and raised a family in New Orleans.

I reached a dead end....but do have marriage data 30June1894. Throughly researched through Ancestry.com subscription to no avail.

I am new at this... and would appreciate help re: next step to take. Thanks...Fred,

You are doing fine! It is especially good that you are willing to ask for directions. ;-))) Take advantage of some of the fine books that have been published describing various approaches to doing genealogy. Make some basic decisions for your own work. The problem is that you have to make these decisions BEFORE you really know what the questions are. For instance, how are you going do do your research...

It is normally recommened to start with yourself and your immediate family. Collect together all the marriage, birth and death certificates as well as school records and such. Enter them in your database and do some comparrison and matching and play around a bit. Easy to do at that stage as you know everyone involved. Then start spreading out. Interview parents and grandparents; aunts, uncles and cousins. Decide how you're going to handle those "special" family members, the kids adopted "uncle" for instance. Develop a good interview format and learn how to do an effective one-on-one and group interview. There are books/articles that will help you. Develop your local resources, computer clubs, genealogy groups, library and Family History Center contacts.

Once you run out of local (includes phone and written correspondance) resources, start with the on-line and correspondance (non-famiy, such as archives) searches. By this time you should have developed your file system. Many good methods of filing (the best, of course, is MINE!), but no matter what system you decide to use, BE CONSISTENT!!!

One of the very best resources you will find is the ReunionTalk Archives. Go back to the beginning and read forward. You will quickly see some patterns --- and some of the "never-ending" questions. By the time you get back to today, you will be a sort of guru yourself. Just don't get into so much of a hurry that you miss some of the real gems burried inside seemingly repetative questions/answers. Take your time, enjoy the whole process. This is supposed to be fun!

And, of course, you have a whole new group of friends at Leister Productions and here on ReunionTalk.

STEVE

Bob Emnett
24 June 2005, 09:36 PM

I am new at this... and would appreciate help re: next step to take. Thanks...Fred,

Steve gave you some good advice to which I would make this one addition. You indicate that you are "new to this," but you apparently have gotten your feet wet. If you have not yet taken an introductory course, I strongly suggest that you invest the time to do so. It actually is more beneficial after one has started doing some research, but BEFORE you get too far along. Look for a course or at a local genealogical society, at a local community college, or public library. I know that in the St. Louis area these courses are generally available at one or another venue during several times of the year. You will pay for community college courses and perhaps some of the others. Our local society, St. Louis Genealogical Society, offers the intro course free to members.

Bob Emnett