PDA

View Full Version : Indicating Step Children

AlanDrake
22 June 2005, 04:49 PM
This begins by sounding like a joke or a math problem from grade school. It isn't either.

A man is married and has three children. His wife dies.
The man remarries.
The new wife is also widowed and has three children.
The three children are adopted by the man, but they retain their father's surname.

The man's three children are older and within just a few years move out of the house.

How can I indicate the legal relationship between the man and his step children without duplicating them as "persons"? Do I use "Existing Child"?

Thnx.

Mary Arthur
22 June 2005, 07:23 PM
The three children are adopted by the man, but they retain their father's surname.How can I indicate the legal relationship between the man and his step children without duplicating them as "persons"? Do I use "Existing Child"?You are correct, use existing child and, if you wish, choose one of your unused child status labels and change it to "adopted by mother's spouse" (and create one for "adopted by father's spouse" for the future), and change their status.

James Mariner
06 August 2005, 01:21 PM
Here is a similar conundrum:

A son (from a family, York, about whom I know only the parents and his siblings) is adopted, after his mother's death, by his father's sister's family (a Mariner) and is thence known as George York Mariner.

As an adult, he formally changed his name to reverse the two surnames, thus retrieving his birth name: George Mariner York.

George's natural siblings were not adopted in a similar manner.

QUESTION: How should this be entered into Reunion? I so far have him only as an adopted son with no reference to his natural family at all, coupled with a note that he changed his name back to York in later life.

dfilpus
06 August 2005, 02:11 PM
Here is a similar conundrum:

A son (from a family, York, about whom I know only the parents and his siblings) is adopted, after his mother's death, by his father's sister's family (a Mariner) and is thence known as George York Mariner.

As an adult, he formally changed his name to reverse the two surnames, thus retrieving his birth name: George Mariner York.

George's natural siblings were not adopted in a similar manner.

QUESTION: How should this be entered into Reunion? I so far have him only as an adopted son with no reference to his natural family at all, coupled with a note that he changed his name back to York in later life.

On George's card, his natural parents (York) should be entered. Then, on the parents (York) family card, all of George's siblings (York) are shown. On the Mariner's family card, George should be linked as an adopted child.

If George is already linked as an adopted child, then clicking on George should bring up his card (or his family card, if married).

The handling of the name changes can be handled different ways. My method is that a person's card has the birth name. Notes handle the name changes.

James Mariner
11 August 2005, 10:45 AM
On George's card, his natural parents (York) should be entered. Then, on the parents (York) family card, all of George's siblings (York) are shown. On the Mariner's family card, George should be linked as an adopted child.Will George then be shown on both cards...i.e., both his natural and adopted family? I don't think I know how to show a "link" that attaches the two families.

dfilpus
11 August 2005, 01:41 PM
Will George then be shown on both cards...i.e., both his natural and adopted family? I don't think I know how to show a "link" that attaches the two families.On his natural family card, George should be linked as a child.

On his adopted family card, George should be linked using "Existing Male Child" , then allow for the duplicate button and finally click the "Children" button, changing George's status to "adopted" or "step".

What I have in my family are children adopted when their mother remarried. The mother has two spouses, so she has two family cards. On the original family card, the children show as natural. On the second family card, the children show as step. One could create statuses of "adopted by father" or "adopted by mother" to handle this case, but I haven't, yet.