PDA

View Full Version : How to handle differing surname spellings

Linda S
12 June 2008, 10:33 AM
I have several large family groups that used differing surname spellings. Examples are Fouts/Pfautz/Pfautz and Hoover/Huber/Hubere/Hober. When performing searches--such as Ancestry, HQ, and others--I realize that I must try every variation or use soundex.

In Reunion, however, I have a fairly large database and am frequently looking up names. I've been tempted to change all names to one spelling, but that loses historical accuracy and would make every entry inaccurate.

Many of you likely share this problem. Are there any tips or tricks that you use to make searching Reunion a little less time consuming?

Any comment will be appreciated.

Nick
12 June 2008, 06:01 PM
I not only have different surname spellings, but different surname spellings for the same person: different documents concerned with one person spell his name as LAIDMAN or LADEMAN. I also have all the variants in my database: LAYDMAN, LOADMAN, LADIMAN etc.

This is a real problem when searching for people. I am inclined to use the "standard" spelling for everyone, with the variant afterwards: e.g: LAIDMAN/LAYDMAN. But I hesitate before doing this in case anyone has a better idea - or maybe there is a "standard" way of dealing with these variants.

Tim Powys-Lybbe
12 June 2008, 08:56 PM
I have several large family groups that used differing surname spellings. Examples are Fouts/Pfautz/Pfautz and Hoover/Huber/Hubere/Hober. When performing searches--such as Ancestry, HQ, and others--I realize that I must try every variation or use soundex.

In Reunion, however, I have a fairly large database and am frequently looking up names. I've been tempted to change all names to one spelling, but that loses historical accuracy and would make every entry inaccurate.

Many of you likely share this problem. Are there any tips or tricks that you use to make searching Reunion a little less time consuming?

Any comment will be appreciated.Create a new field called eg Family Name. Then put the single spelling in that and search on that field.

I can't see any way, though, to do this for groups of, e.g. marked, people so you may have to do it one by one.

Karen Peters
13 June 2008, 08:25 AM
Create a new field called eg Family Name. Then put the single spelling in that and search on that field.

I can't see any way, though, to do this for groups of, e.g. marked, people so you may have to do it one by one.

Oooh, I like this! I tried using "aka/alias," but stopped because it didn't seem right. Various spellings aren't really aliases. Your solution makes much more sense. Thanks!

Jan Powell
13 June 2008, 10:55 AM
Hello Linda and all
I have created a fact field called OtherName(s). I have used View preferences to include it on the basics card view for each person. When I find alternative spellings for surnames, or when I find someone who has changed his/her name to something completely different, or when I find someone who may have several nicknames, I type the alternative(s) into that field.

I have several large family groups that used differing surname spellings... Are there any tips or tricks that you use to make searching Reunion a little less time consuming?

John Bayle
17 July 2008, 07:32 PM
Create a new field called eg Family Name. Then put the single spelling in that and search on that field.

Oh, Tim beat me to it. The only "improvement" (IMHO) I can offer over his idea is that were I to do this, I'd call the new fact Standard Family Name or Standardized Name or something of that ilk.

ljirwin42
20 July 2008, 11:21 AM
Oh, Tim beat me to it. The only "improvement" (IMHO) I can offer over his idea is that were I to do this, I'd call the new fact Standard Family Name or Standardized Name or something of that ilk.

Another approach which I use avoids the creation, and filling-in, of a new "Standard Surname" field: In the "Edit person > Name" window, I use the standard name. Then whenever I enter a "Source Citation," I type the spelling that actually occurs in each particular source. That way I have a sense of who used a particular spelling: census-taker, pastor, court clerk, etc.

Also, I use the same approach in other fields like the "Edit person > Events > Birth" field to document different birth dates that occur in birth certificates, census reports, wills, obits, etc.

Lee James Irwin
FamilyMatters Research
FamilyMatters2U(at)gmail.com

Amy
22 July 2008, 08:44 PM
Another approach which I use avoids the creation, and filling-in, of a new "Standard Surname" field: In the "Edit person > Name" window, I use the standard name. Then whenever I enter a "Source Citation," I type the spelling that actually occurs in each particular source. That way I have a sense of who used a particular spelling: census-taker, pastor, court clerk, etc.

Another good reason for copying the spelling used in the original record is that anyone (even yourself!) who uses your citation to track down the original record will have an easier time finding it.

Indexers are not going to change the spelling of a name. Particularly wacky spellings probably took a long time to track down, so recording it in the citation is essential if you ever want to find it again.

Elizabeth Shown Mills writing in "Evidence Explained" suggests putting your normalized spelling in square editorial brackets right after the name in the citation. (If you want to find that in "Evidence Explained" look at section 2.16 on page 50.)