PDA

View Full Version : Web Card home card

Ruth Edney
19 June 2005, 09:06 PM
I updated my web cards and posted them to my site today. In the Reunion file, I chose my mother as "home". (I begin the file with my parents and work back, using only direct ancestors.) When I opened the web page, I found that my mother's parent's card is the home card. Can anyone explain why, and how to correct this? In the earlier file (done in 2003) the home card was that of my parents, as it should be now. The file is at: http://myweb.cableone.net/redney/INDEX.HTML

I find Reunion to be a wonderful program. Too bad those PC users can't have it!
Ruth

theKiwi
19 June 2005, 10:26 PM
When you created the Web Cards, did you start with your Mother's card on the Reunion screen? I believe this is what sets the Home Card when you create Web Cards.

Roger

martha
21 June 2005, 01:32 AM
I updated my web cards and posted them to my site today. In the Reunion file, I chose my mother as "home". (I begin the file with my parents and work back, using only direct ancestors.) When I opened the web page, I found that my mother's parent's card is the home card. Can anyone explain why, and how to correct this? In the earlier file (done in 2003) the home card was that of my parents, as it should be now. The file is at: http://myweb.cableone.net/redney/INDEX.HTML
It looks lovely, Ruth. But how do we know whether the opening card is your parents or your grandparents?

Martha

Steve W. Jackson
21 June 2005, 06:59 PM
When you created the Web Cards, did you start with your Mother's card on the Reunion screen? I believe this is what sets the Home Card when you create Web Cards.The Reunion manual confirms that you are correct.

= Steve =

Ruth Edney
29 June 2005, 11:22 PM
The Reunion manual confirms that you areThanks to you and Roger the card now opens to my parents, George & Margaret Peer. I hadn't realized you had to have the home card showing for it to be in the correct place.
Ruth

blair wheeler
05 July 2005, 01:00 AM
Where and how do you fine a good site to show your Web card. This part of the genealogy world I know knowing about.

Blair Wheeler

Bill Roberts
06 July 2005, 12:04 PM
Where and how do you fine a good site to show your Web card. This part of the genealogy world I know knowing about.Your internet service provider is a site where you can show your Web card. Usually a personal Web page is free. My ISP has a one-time $25 set-up fee.

Barbara Ware
07 July 2005, 12:16 AM
Is there some way to limit the number of generations when creating web cards (other than marking individuals)? I want to create a web page that stops at my grandparents.

Mary Arthur
07 July 2005, 01:19 AM
Is there some way to limit the number of generations when creating web cards (other than marking individuals)? I want to create a web page that stops at my grandparents.

Do you think you have to mark people individually or do I misuderstand what you are asking?

Go to your grandparents card, Find --> Mark groups and choose thier descendants, and their spouses or anyone linked to your grandparents, unmarking everyone in the file first, then when creating the webcards choose anyone with a marked spouse.

Steve W. Jackson
07 July 2005, 06:21 PM
The Web Family Cards option is more or less aimed at creating web cards for all the people in your family file. Of course, you've got options -- just as with most of what Reunion can do for you. You can include everyone with certain marking criteria met, for instance. But it's probable that what you really want is to use privacy filtering. Look on the Options menu and choose "Reports...", where you'll be able to decide who's private. I currently have mine set for everyone without a death date born after 1915. But it's also possible to use a flag to mark some people as private, and even to specifically indicate that marked people are private. That latter is probably really only useful on an occasional basis. In the lower section, you indicate what you want done with those people who meet the criteria. In this case, you probably want to omit them entirely.

So when you get ready to generate Web Family Cards, you would then need to check the "Use Privacy Filtering" option and have these settings applied. A similar option will appear for every "report" you create, whether or not it's going to be put into a web format.

= Steve =

kellyohair
23 November 2005, 08:49 PM
I use privacy filtering, but some of my cards have no birth or death date, and they end up with their full names created.

How do I prevent getting full names on anyone without a birth and death date?

-kto

jbkeene
29 November 2005, 01:33 PM
I use privacy filtering, but some of my cards have no birth or death date, and they end up with their full names created.

How do I prevent getting full names on anyone without a birth and death date?This is exactly the problem that I posted in the wish list on 9 Nov. http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=738
Reunion needs to improve its privacy filter so as to eliminate living people with no known birth dates by calculating their generations and estimating their birth dates.
Jocelyn Keene

Bill Roberts
29 November 2005, 07:55 PM
How do I prevent getting full names on anyone without a birth and death date?My approach was to mark everybody having a death date and to create a Web Family Card for those marked.

Consequently the details stop with my parents' generation. My generation is listed by name only. My generation's children do not appear at all.

jbkeene
01 December 2005, 12:21 PM
My approach was to mark everybody having a death date and to create a Web Family Card for those marked.

Consequently the details stop with my parents' generation. My generation is listed by name only. My generation's children do not appear at all.

The difficulty with this approach is that many, many people from the distant past who have unknown birth and death dates but are otherwise documented will get missed out on the web cards. Every time I update my web cards I go through a long elaborate process of trying to weed out people who are alive today but still include people who lived in the past whose dates are unknown. Nevertheless, some mistakes usually creep through. It would be possible for Reunion to do this task. I always submit my gedcom file to WorldConnect and it does the calculations for me and does them well without any help from me. I urge Leister to figure out how to do this and include it in the next version.
Jocelyn

David G. Kanter
01 December 2005, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=jbkeene]