PDA

View Full Version : Displaying half siblings

jmonty
07 March 2005, 07:58 PM
I have an Aunt who is actually a half-sister to the rest of her siblings (her father is not the same.) I'm not certain she even knew she was a half-sibling as she died many years ago while still young. Right now I have her listed with her actual birth parents, but doing so means she looks like an only child and does not show up with the rest of her siblings under her "perceived" parents. This just seems wrong to me! It is possible to have her show as a child along with her other siblings but technically have the proper parents?

I realize this gets into the whole issue of whether Reunion primarily documents genetics or perceived family ties. Can I have it both ways?

STEVE
08 March 2005, 09:14 AM
I have an Aunt who is actually a half-sister to the rest of her siblings (her father is not the same.) I'm not certain she even knew she was a half-sibling as she died many years ago while still young. Right now I have her listed with her actual birth parents, but doing so means she looks like an only child and does not show up with the rest of her siblings under her "perceived" parents. This just seems wrong to me! It is possible to have her show as a child along with her other siblings but technically have the proper parents?

I realize this gets into the whole issue of whether Reunion primarily documents genetics or perceived family ties.

Can I have it both ways?

ABSOLUTELY!

Just go to the family with her siblings. Click on "Add Existing Female Type Person" ;-) and tell Reunion to duplicate the child. Now, she appears in both families and you can write memo's/notes to explain what is going on.

STEVE

jmonty
08 March 2005, 03:21 PM
ABSOLUTELY!

Just go to the family with her siblings. Click on "Add Existing Female Type Person" ;-) and tell Reunion to duplicate the child. Now, she appears in both families and you can write memo's/notes to explain what is going on.

STEVE

Thanks for the tip! I'm wondering if once I do the duplication will this duplication person appear to be two people, or will changes in one record get reflected in the other?

AE Palmer
08 March 2005, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the tip! I'm wondering if once I do the duplication will this duplication person appear to be two people, or will changes in one record get reflected in the other?

You are merely duplicating the link. The first one (the one you already had for her real parents) and a duplicate link for the other family. In your reports and graphs she will show up twice - once for her birth parents and once as an "adopted" child. But since her record will retain the same identity (number), it is obvious that both references refer to only one person.