PDA

View Full Version : Change Default Font

ddcolby
11 June 2005, 01:48 PM
We are attempting to change the default font size available for Reunion 8. There does not appear to be a way to increase the size beyond 12, which is a problem for those of us who require larger fonts.

Is there a way to increase the font size beyond 12????

Bob Goode
12 June 2005, 09:12 PM
We are attempting to change the default font size available for Reunion 8. There does not appear to be a way to increase the size beyond 12, which is a problem for those of us who require larger fonts.I do not believe there is a way to increase fonts beyond 12 in Reunion, but if you are using OS X (especially 10.2, 10.3 or 10.4) you can go into system preferences, select universial access and turn on zoom. Then holding down the two keys immediately left of the space bar and the "=" key, you can zoom in. You may zoom back out by holding down the two keys immediately left of the space bar and the "-" key. This may not be the best solution but is a solution.

Bob

Bob White
13 June 2005, 01:59 PM
I would really be curious to hear Leister's explanation of this limitation. I can see that on charts, the explanation would be like with fan charts (recently discussed in another thread) but wonder why the limitation in the place we spend the most time -- the Family Card. This is especially curious when one considers that a large percentage of genealogy buffs are somewhat past the age of fifty and have various degrees of eyesight challenges.

Frank
13 June 2005, 03:15 PM
In Reunion 8, the maximum font size for names on the family card is 12 (Options -> Fonts). This limitation has its roots in the typical size and resolution of monitors in the not-too-distant past. I.e., when 95% of your customers have a 12 or 15" monitor, offering a font size of 48 for names just didn't make much sense. There's only so much space you can use to expand a button's size to accomodate larger text before the family card gets ugly. And there's a domino effect: bigger names of the husband/wife probably lead to bigger names for parents and children, then bigger text for events and notes. To avoid ugly, some limitations were imposed.

Keep in mind that Reunion 8 was released in 2002. Since then, much has changed. Today, I can buy an Apple 20" monitor for $799. Last time I checked, the smallest iMac monitor was 17". And the resolutions have increased too. More pixels and smaller pixels, making 12-point text actually appear much smaller on screen.

Yes these limitations will change in the next major upgrade of Reunion. You can look forward to it ;)

In the meantime, the best workaround is to choose a different FONT for the display of names on the family card (Options -> Fonts). Even at the same font size, some fonts are thicker and more readable than others. (Try Lucida Grande or Arial Black.)

ddcolby
17 June 2005, 11:32 PM
I do not believe there is a way to increase fonts beyond 12 in Reunion, but if you are using OS X (especially 10.2, 10.3 or 10.4) you can go into system preferences, select universial access and turn on zoom. Then holding down the two keys immediately left of the space bar and the "=" key, you can zoom in. You may zoom back out by holding down the two keys immediately left of the space bar and the "-" key. This may not be the best solution but is a solution.Bob,

Thank you for your work around. It is just what the doctor ordered and should get us by until the next upgrade. Thanks

Bob White
20 June 2005, 03:05 AM
Thank you, Frank, for the explanation and suggestion.

Coriolana
21 April 2006, 04:51 PM
Hi,

I have a 20" monitor and the text is really really small. However changing the font to Arial Black makes it easier to read (even if it is a tad ugly).

Carol (Reunion Newbie with severe eyestrain!)