PDA

View Full Version : What is the Best printer for OS X 2.8

roselv
09 June 2005, 02:39 PM
My Epson C42 UX no longer works. I ordered a cache of ink cartridges from Ink4art and these cartridges also stop after about 20-30 pages of print even though the cartridge is shown as having plenty of ink.
I found this on the internet:
Epson Accused of Blocking Remaining Ink
ITC NEWSWIRE-
A recent lawsuit filed in a Texas District Court accuses Epson of short changing users of its printers, alleging that some models of the company's inkjet cartridges prematurely show that they are empty. This blocks Epson printers from functioning even though a substantial amount of ink remains in the cartridge.

According to the papers filed on Oct. 24 by the law firm of Harnes Keller LLP of New York, the class-action lawsuit is on behalf of all consumers who purchased an Epson-brand inkjet printer fitted with an Intellidge chip either with the purchase of an Epson printer or separately with the purchase of a replacement inkjet cartridge. While the exact number of class members is unknown, based on Epson's sales of printers in the United States, it is estimated to be approximately 500,000. The lawsuit is asking the court to enter a judgment requiring Epson to return money "in the amount which Epson had been unjustly enriched."

Based on independent tests, the lawsuit alleges that "10-30 percent of ink remained in Epson inkjet cartridges despite the fact that the Intellidge chip was blocking the printer from functioning."Is there a good printer for my Mac which I use mostly for black printing and very seldom for the color? Is there one that will work even if the color cartridge slot is vacant? Is there a printer that will use all of the ink in the cartridge before it quits.

Thanks for your help
Rose Turner

lauraf13
09 June 2005, 06:03 PM
<snip>
Is there a good printer for my Mac which I use mostly for black printing and very seldom for the color? Is there one that will work even if the color cartridge slot is vacant? Is there a printer that will use all of the ink in the cartridge before it quits.

Thanks for your help
Rose Turner

I have been considering the Canon printers, for example:
Click here to see the Canon PIXMA iP4000 Printer (http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=117&modelid=10239)
I don't have any real world experience with it, but it does duplex printing with is appealing to me.

SVass
09 June 2005, 06:19 PM
They quit early because running them dry will destroy the print head. Ink Jet printers all MUST stop before they run dry. As I also use Ink-4-Art cartridges, I am aware they are inexpensive and work, so I don't understand the complaint. sam

Steve W. Jackson
09 June 2005, 06:50 PM
I second what SVass says above, but it's worth adding something else concerning Epson printers that I've learned the hard way.

Some of their models have a bad habit of drying up the print heads if they're left on for extended periods and not used. This can also happen even if they are used when certain cartridges don't get used, like the color ones. I kept finding that my printers were eventually streaking and experiencing other troubles that ultimately led to replacing them. But when I discovered this issue, my last printer worked for a much longer time without problems when I began keeping it off most of the time except when being used.

My newer RX500 doesn't have this problem, but I've read reports that it's still a good idea with Epson and all other inkjet models to use all the colors at least occasionally.

= Steve =

martha
10 June 2005, 03:03 AM
Epson Accused of Blocking Remaining Ink
ITC NEWSWIRE-
A recent lawsuit filed in a Texas District Court accuses Epson of short changing users of its printers, alleging that some models of the company's inkjet cartridges prematurely show that they are empty. This blocks Epson printers from functioning even though a substantial amount of ink remains in the cartridge.

According to the papers filed on Oct. 24 by the law firm of Harnes Keller LLP of New York, the class-action lawsuit is on behalf of all consumers who purchased an Epson-brand inkjet printer fitted with an Intellidge chip either with the purchase of an Epson printer or separately with the purchase of a replacement inkjet cartridge. While the exact number of class members is unknown, based on Epson's sales of printers in the United States, it is estimated to be approximately 500,000. The lawsuit is asking the court to enter a judgment requiring Epson to return money "in the amount which Epson had been unjustly enriched."

Based on independent tests, the lawsuit alleges that "10-30 percent of ink remained in Epson inkjet cartridges despite the fact that the Intellidge chip was blocking the printer from functioning."

Rose Turner

WOW, Rose!!! That explains a lot. I stay away from anything Epson since I noticed the fact, about a year ago, that I still have 30% ink remaining and yet I cannot print anything. Their cartridges are very, very expensive. HP seems to be honest, so I stick with them.

Martha Lev-Zion
Israel

Steve W. Jackson
10 June 2005, 06:55 PM
WOW, Rose!!! That explains a lot. I stay away from anything Epson since I noticed the fact, about a year ago, that I still have 30% ink remaining and yet I cannot print anything. Their cartridges are very, very expensive. HP seems to be honest, so I stick with them.I, on the other hand, have been buying Epson printers for quite a long while. Until the current one (RX500 multifunction), I never bought Epson cartridges, preferring instead to get mine online from Ink4Art.com. And never once did I encounter a situation where my printer refused to function based on the claims made in that lawsuit. Personally, therefore, I'm skeptical since my own experiences are different and better than they claim.

= Steve =

joeswann
10 June 2005, 11:44 PM
Well, I bought an Epson once. After a year of frustration with it I chunked it and bought an HP photosmart 7150. The HP has been a great printer. The only time we have trouble with it is when we send a print job to it not knowing that one of the kids has unplugged the USB cable to it. We have to plug it back in and delete the print job from the queue and print again for some reason. We have just learned to look at the plug before we print so I have never pursued why this is.

Also, as a computer tech for our school system I can say we do not buy Epson printers. They generated too many work orders when we did. Our HP printers only complain when kids stick bubble gum in them.

jimrite
13 June 2005, 10:32 PM
I've owned Epsons and HP's in the past, but two years ago bought a Canon i850. Great machine! It's fast, and has beautiful output. It's economical, too, because it has separate ink tanks for each color. Liked it so much I bought i860's for both college student sons. Then I donated mine to the church and bought myself the i9900. Canon doesn't advertise its printers in MacMall and MacConnection catalogues, so if you use those as sources of buying information you'll miss the Canon line. They're worth checking out.
Jim Wright

roselv
13 June 2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks, everyone for your good advice. I want to clarify my original statement. I have always used Epson and loved them until the last Epson printer (Epson Stylus C42UX). I understand that one can always come up with a lemon; also, I highly recommend cartridges from Ink4Art.

All I wanted were suggestions for a good printer as I am ready to buy one and trash my present printer.

Again, THANK YOU,

ROSELV

John M. Leggett
14 June 2005, 04:45 AM
I have used OS X 2.8 since it became available and I have two Epson printers: a 740 and 880. I also have an Apple Personal LaserWriter NT.

I have always used Epson ink cartridges with my Epson printers. Both printers work flawlessly on my Macs (B&W G3-350 and iBook) and my Dell Optiplex GX-270. I use a switching arrangement which allows either printer to be used by any of the computers.

While some individuals have indicated their experience with Epson printers has not been satisfactory I do not feel that it should be assumed that no model of Epson is worthy of consideration. Nor is it likely that all models of HP or any other manufacturer are better.

With all due respect, I feel that the statement that "HP seems to be honest" appears to reflect a bias against Epson and an accusation of dishonesty on the part of Epson.

Although I have no experience with HP, my experience with Epson has been that it is a reliable, helpful company that does not just "seem" to be honest but is.

bmohr
15 June 2005, 01:15 AM
I would urge anyone preparing to purchase an inkjet printer to take a look at the print permanence reports from Wilhelm Imaging Research (http://www.wilhelm-research.com/) first. In short, you cannot expect the output from many inkjets to be around years from now. Of course, the problem is most pronounced if that output is on display, as with a framed photograph, but also applies to plain black text.

The best printers today rival traditional photographic imaging in fade-resistance and should approach ink-on-paper for text; the worst show noticeable fading after just a few months. The difference may not be important to you, but it's something to think about.

Also, if the original poster is willing to give up that "seldom" use of color, I would suggest a laser printer. Both Brother and HP have laser printers under $200 that easily rival the best inkjets for text printing. My 600 dpi laser printer runs circles around my high-end 5760 x 1440 dpi inkjet for text, and it's much cheaper per page. Just don't ask it to print any pictures. :)

-Brad

Frank Mitchell
17 June 2005, 03:28 AM
Another consideration which might be important if you don't use your ink jet often enough is that the ink jets in Epsons are in the printer itself. I know of at least two Epson owners whose jets became blocked so badly they could not be cleaned. They had to scrap their printers.

Other manufacturers (Canon, HP I think) have the jets in the cartridges which are therefore replaced along with the cartridge.

BTW I use Epsons myself. If I don't do any printing for any length of time I leave the printer switched off and run the jet cleaning software every few days or so.

John M. Leggett
18 June 2005, 04:05 PM
Another consideration which might be important if you don't use your ink jet often enough is that the ink jets in Epsons are in the printer itself. I know of at least two Epson owners whose jets became blocked so badly they could not be cleaned. They had to scrap their printers.

Other manufacturers (Canon, HP I think) have the jets in the cartridges which are therefore replaced along with the cartridge.On the other hand I am one owner with two Epson ink-jet printers, a 740 and 880. At times one or the other has not been used for a year or more as I also have a Personal LaserWriter. I have never had a problem with blocked ink jets and never before heard of this difference in printers.

However, I do regularly run the cleaning cycle on the one I am using. Without doing so during heavy usage the jets will clog--as I have had occasion to point out to friends who were having problems but had never run the cleaning process.

Quite frankly, I have learned to be wary of second-hand positive or negative comments concerning products as in too many cases the problem lies with the user rather than the product. I read and I listen but many bad products seem to gain favorable recommendations while excellent products always have their detractors.

lauraf13
18 June 2005, 05:06 PM
On the other hand I am one owner with two Epson ink-jet printers, a 740 and 880. At times one or the other has not been used for a year or more as I also have a Personal LaserWriter. I have never had a problem with blocked ink jets and never before heard of this difference in printers.

However, I do regularly run the cleaning cycle on the one I am using. Without doing so during heavy usage the jets will clog--as I have had occasion to point out to friends who were having problems but had never run the cleaning process.

Quite frankly, I have learned to be wary of second-hand positive or negative comments concerning products as in too many cases the problem lies with the user rather than the product. I read and I listen but many bad products seem to gain favorable recommendations while excellent products always have their detractors.I owned a 740i and it was very good, I must say that my 785EPX has been more prone to clogged heads. When it gets low on either the black or the color ink cartridge I can't get the print clean until I replace the low one and this is before the printer has indicated that it is low. I do feel like I'm wasting more ink than with my 740. I'm very happy with the output, but I'm a little unhappy about the ink usage. I have been considering a new printer, but I'm wondering if Epson is on the decline.

Frank Mitchell
20 June 2005, 06:36 PM
I owned a 740i and it was very good, I must say that my 785EPX has been more prone to clogged heads. When it gets low on either the black or the color ink cartridge I can't get the print clean until I replace the low one and this is before the printer has indicated that it is low. I do feel like I'm wasting more ink than with my 740. I'm very happy with the output, but I'm a little unhappy about the ink usage. I have been considering a new printer, but I'm wondering if Epson is on the decline.Thought the following was a timely message which was posted today on another list I belong to...I thought I would give all a mini review of Epson printers to aid in your buying pleasure. My old 740 was an ink hog. If I let it sit for more than a few days, I would end up using most of the ink just to clean the clogged heads and re-align the printing. I don't know what possessed me to buy another Epson, but I got a CX6400. This thing will sit for 4 or 5 weeks between printing assignments, and always comes right back with perfectly printed pages. I have yet to run a utility on it. From one extreme to the other.I also once used up most of a color cartridge to clear the nozzles on my Epson Photo 785EPX.

John M. Leggett
20 June 2005, 07:32 PM
I have been considering a new printer, but I'm wondering if Epson is on the decline.I really don't know the status of Epson as a company but I have heard the same thing about Apple for as long as I can remember!

As I noted in another newsgroup, any company with the billions in cash Apple has and no long-term debt is not likely to disappear anytime soon. In my opinion, reports of Apple's demise (and maybe Epson's) are mostly dreams of their competitors.

lauraf13
21 June 2005, 09:27 AM
I really don't know the status of Epson as a company but I have heard the same thing about Apple for as long as I can remember!

As I noted in another newsgroup, any company with the billions in cash Apple has and no long-term debt is not likely to disappear anytime soon. In my opinion, reports of Apple's demise (and maybe Epson's) are mostly dreams of their competitors.I didn't mean that the company was in decline financially, but the quality of their products may be in decline.

vineviz
21 June 2005, 10:13 AM
I decided that the most economical solution for me was to buy two printers, a b&w laser printer and a color inkjet.

My laser printer is quite old (HP LaserJet 1200) so I have no recommendation there. The inexpensive Samsung ML-1710 gets good reviews, but I can't personally say one way or the other. A laser is great for printing long reports, shipping labels (no ink, so the don't smudge when wet), copies of microfilm from the Family History Center, etc. I am still using my first laser printer, while I am on my third inkjet . . .

My inkjet is a Canon i960 and I love it. It uses 6 ink cartridges, so if I DO print a lot of black text I can just replace the black. The quality of print is excellent, and it plays well with OS X. And the cartridges look pretty low on ink when I replace them, for what it's worth. The Canon does an awesome job on pictures, color charts from Reunion. It is also a bit faster than my aging HP LaserJet, so I use it when I need to grab the print and go!

Steve W. Jackson
21 June 2005, 07:07 PM
I didn't mean that the company was in decline financially, but the quality of their products may be in decline.
I see no evidence of any decline in their products. I've owned numerous Epsons, including several all-in-one printer/scanner/copier units. There are imperfections, to be sure, as with anyone's products. But I'm overall a pretty satisfied customer.

= Steve =