PDA

View Full Version : Information that *might* be about a person

bblais
08 April 2008, 09:38 PM
Hello,

I was wondering how I should organize information, documents, etc... that *might* be about a particular individual, but I am not sure at the moment. Sometimes I find things that might be about someone, but I need to check with other sources (which may take weeks/months). In the meantime, I don't want to lump it in the tree with the individual for fear of mixing it with verified information, but I also don't want to lose track of it as I research other people.

Any good tips for this problem?

thanks,

Brian Blais

Riopel
09 April 2008, 08:26 AM
Brian,

When I find a person that "might be" a relative, I use the "to be confirmed" Flag.

When I'm dealing with "might be info" about a "confirmed" relative, I write to be confirmed in the Details field of the appropriate Source and use the "Find Citation Detail" tool of the Source list to get back at them.

So far it's worked for me

martha
10 April 2008, 01:18 AM
Hello,

I was wondering how I should organize information, documents, etc... that *might* be about a particular individual, but I am not sure at the moment. Sometimes I find things that might be about someone, but I need to check with other sources (which may take weeks/months). In the meantime, I don't want to lump it in the tree with the individual for fear of mixing it with verified information, but I also don't want to lose track of it as I research other people.

Any good tips for this problem?

thanks,

Brian Blais

I have a number of those instances, Brian, and I have found it easiest to write [tentative] before all such information. That makes a very clear distinction on whatever prints out and also reminds me to keep checking in case I forgot to put it into a log file. I can also do a search for all [tentative] items and get them all at once. In addition, I footnote [tentative] with the source of information that led me to that particular person. When confirmed, I simply remove the [tentative], add a footnote, and voil