PDA

View Full Version : Native American Research/ Cherokee

James Dowler
06 April 2008, 03:46 AM
My great great grandmother on my mom's side is said to be Cherokee Indian I can not seem to locate any information on her at all except that she married John Morgan (her second husband) and according to my aunt they appear on the Cherokee rolls together... Any suggestions or anyone know what she is talking about and were I can find them..

martha
06 April 2008, 05:08 AM
My great great grandmother on my mom's side is said to be Cherokee Indian I can not seem to locate any information on her at all except that she married John Morgan (her second husband) and according to my aunt they appear on the Cherokee rolls together... Any suggestions or anyone know what she is talking about and were I can find them..

James, I don't have a Native American in the bunch of my ancestors/families, but I would think that NARA would have such lists. Have you checked on their website?

Martha

ByronSpoon
06 April 2008, 11:11 AM
There were several census rolls taken of the Cherokee (and other tribes) prior to their forced relocation to Indian Territory (Oklahoma) in the 19th century. Three of such rolls were the Dawes Roll, Chapman Roll, and the Siler Roll.

If you google for "cherokee roll" you will find several websites with a lot of information on this topic and some transcribed indexes of these rolls. The microfilms of these rolls can be ordered/viewed from several places including NARA, the LDS family history centers, and some libraries.

Frank Mitchell
06 April 2008, 09:53 PM
A member of my Mac User's group has Cherokee ancestors and has done a lot of research into the tribe's history.

I avoid passing on other people's email address without permission, but, if you will send me your email address, I will pass it on to her.

She uses Reunion too, but I don't think she subscribes to this list.

James Dowler
08 April 2008, 12:33 AM
Thanks I will look into all of these suggestion.... Frank feel free to forward my email onto your friend, I can use all the help I can get it is like she existed but didn't it is crazy... Thanks

jep111
08 April 2008, 03:33 AM

Ancestry.com has several John Morgans listed in the U.S. Indian Census Schedules, 1885-1940.

Good luck!

John

Pat Bell
22 April 2008, 04:50 PM
I have Cherokee ancestry (in fact, I too am on the Cherokee rolls as a citizen). One thing I came across when I was doing some research on another couple of family lines (in Arkansas) was that the northwest part of Arkansas Territory was Indian Territory. It's been frustrating, though, to find out from the census records whether and who were Indians in the years before 1860.

I have learned that that was the territory talked about as the Western Lands for the Treaty of 1818 -- where a number of Cherokees signed up for "reservations" in the western area. (Just because they signed up and appear on that roster though doesn't mean they actually went west.)

Do you know anything about where this grandmother lived? That's always an important starting point.

gwenboucher
22 April 2008, 08:39 PM
Pat, is there any chance you are of Boucher ancestry? I used to email a lady with your name but we lost contact several years ago. I apologize for using this forum for trying to renew old acquaintances.
Gwen Boucher <gjboucher@comcast.net>

Pat Bell
08 July 2008, 02:30 PM
Pat, is there any chance you are of Boucher ancestry? I used to email a lady with your name but we lost contact several years ago. I apologize for using this forum for trying to renew old acquaintances.
Gwen Boucher <gjboucher@comcast.net>

I'm sorry, Gwen, but Boucher isn't anywhere in my ancestry.