PDA

View Full Version : Thousands of sources ??

Richard Folkerth
04 April 2008, 04:49 PM
I have recently started trying to upgrade the quality of my genealogy documentation by adding source references . But I am concerned about the apparent large number of sources that I will have when I get finished.

If, on the average, I have five unique sources for each person then I will have THOUSANDS of sources!! My database currently has about 800 people, so at five per person I would have 4000 total sources.

For example, it seems really awkward to cite source 4127 as proof of my grandfather

Tom Robinson
04 April 2008, 10:31 PM
Without knowing what your sources are I can't comment directly, but I have around 5500 people and 1500 sources.

For me a source can be a birth certificate (so used for birth date and birth place), a census (so the 1881 census is linked to hundreds of people and fields), an e-mail, a photo...

Some people use the memo field to further breakdown a source (e.g. what census page), I use a FileMaker database for sources such as census records and newspapers, other people create a source for each census page. YMMV as they say.

AE Palmer
05 April 2008, 12:09 AM
[QUOTE=Richard Folkerth]I have recently started trying to upgrade the quality of my genealogy documentation by adding source references . But I am concerned about the apparent large number of sources that I will have when I get finished.

If, on the average, I have five unique sources for each person then I will have THOUSANDS of sources!! My database currently has about 800 people, so at five per person I would have 4000 total sources.

For example, it seems really awkward to cite source 4127 as proof of my grandfather