PDA

View Full Version : Best Scanner

Martha Lyle
08 June 2005, 07:02 PM
I need to get a new scanner. I've had a Umax for years, using a sccsi (sp?) card. I need to get either a USB or Firewire connect. I do a lot of photographs, also text which I convert to searchable with OmniPage. I've looked on the net for reviews, but can't seem to find any. Not looking to spend a lot, maybe $200. Any suggestions?
Martha

SGilbert
08 June 2005, 11:18 PM
Martha, Have a look at Epson CX6600. Great printer & scanner all-in-one with a multi card reader also. It uses 4 separate cartridges for the 3 colors & black.

I have 2, and love it. All software you'll need comes with it. All for less than $200

SVass
09 June 2005, 06:14 PM
I have an HP 5470c Scanjet and use Graphic Converter via Twain to scan documents. It has both a negative and slide adapter and is USB. sam

rnkiii
09 June 2005, 08:33 PM
Martha,

I have a new Canon - Canoscan LiDE 500F that is USB, 1 cable does it all, power and conection to my iMac G5. I does wonderful scans and also does very well with photos... I use VueScan as the interface and that REALLY help you adjust your scans and/or photos.... WAY under $200... think mine was around $109 w/free shipping... I have been very impressed with it and I also was a long time Umax user.

Good luck in your search.
Bob K.

Bob White
10 June 2005, 02:44 AM
I like my HP Scanjet 4670. (You might have seen it being used on CSI Miami.) It is fast, super quiet and has a very small footprint. (It stands up.) It is also sort of sexy as one can see right through it. It comes with a slide scanner that works very well but is not designed for quantity. One can also lay it on something large, scan that item in sections and then merge all the pieces into one graphic (like Photoshop Elements Panorama software). The Iris software that it uses for text scanning is very accurate with the text but very challenged in regards to retaining formatting.

The only bad thing about it is that I had to give up using VueScan. So far, HP has declined to furnish sufficient data for Hamrick to do a VueScan driver for any of the 4600 series.

Ilene Murray
10 June 2005, 12:54 PM
I need to get a new scanner. I've had a Umax for years, using a sccsi (sp?) card. I need to get either a USB or Firewire connect. I do a lot of photographs, also text which I convert to searchable with OmniPage. I've looked on the net for reviews, but can't seem to find any. Not looking to spend a lot, maybe $200. Any suggestions?Martha,

I've been using a Umax Astra 1600U for almost five years with my iMac. This machine connects via USB and has produced dozens of unfailingly excellent scans for me without ever even hiccuping. I use their Umax Vista Scan software (included) and tweak the photos in Photoshop Elements. Umax still makes scanners for the Mac and their products are so good that I'd recommend just going to their Web site <www.umax.com> and seeing what they currently have available.

Ilene Murray
St. Louis, MO

Martha Lyle
10 June 2005, 11:49 PM
Some have suggested an all-in-one. That's appealing because I don't have much space, but I'm concerned about the scanning quality. I do old photographs, also old handwritten documents, need prettty high quality. Any thoughts?

SGilbert
11 June 2005, 01:18 AM
Like I said---Epson CX6600 all-in-one. Excellent scans! Go to a store and look at it.

BTW: A slightly older model, CX6400 is at Sam's Club for $129+. Same quality.

What I really like is the separate cartridges--if you run out of 1 color, you only replace 1 color.

PS: I've NEVER had good prints or decent longevity with generic cartridges--including ink4art.

Steve W. Jackson
13 June 2005, 06:17 PM
I had an Epson CX5400, I believe it was, before my current model. I now have an RX500. I'm pretty sure it's been dropped in favor of a newer model number (they do this frequently). But the key differences between the 5400/6600 types and the ones like mine (aside from some having card readers and others not) are that my model has six separate color cartridges instead of four. This one has black and yellow, of course, but it also has cyan and light cyan as well as magenta and light magenta. That produces a different range of colors on printing. I don't print color photos often, but the print quality is quite good when I do. And the scan quality is on par with Epson's best scanners -- in fact, I think these have the same scan engine used in the reputable Epson Perfection series.

= Steve =

Martha Lyle
16 June 2005, 01:08 PM
I like everything I read about the Epson RX500, and everyone's comments have been very helpful. I found one at an online dealer for $145 after rebate. Problem is I can't decide if it will fit onto my desktop. I have a desktop (top of a bookcase) width of 13". The RX500 measures 17.5", but I'm hoping the rubber feet that it actually sits on might fit onto the 13" desktop. I can't seem to get an answer on the feet dimensions from Epson. Would someone who has one please measure the rubber feet distances for me!

TIA!
Martha

Janice
16 June 2005, 05:54 PM
Just measured the rubber feet on my RX500== 11.5" front to back & 14" width; however you will need the 17" (from a wall?) to fit the paper rack in back so it doesn't bunch up. I love mine; scans the old slides, negatives wonderfully. It can send FAX's out and makes great copies without the computer. Just got a digital camera, so haven't tried those front memory slots yet. Good luck.

Steve W. Jackson
16 June 2005, 07:18 PM
I won't question the measurements, but I have to point out that the RX500 doesn't do faxing. It does include card reading capability, which I've never used on mine. It does include an adapter for slides, but I don't have any and can't say how well it would work. I mainly got it because I wanted to be able to print photos on rare occasions, do lots of regular printing with both color included, and because I'm frequently in need of copies of single pages. It scans quite well for me and hasn't given me any problems at all -- an excellent printer with good print quality, in my opinion.

= Steve =

SVass
16 June 2005, 07:48 PM
I like everything I read about the Epson RX500, and everyone's comments have been very helpful. I found one at an online dealer for $145 after rebate. Problem is I can't decide if it will fit onto my desktop. I have a desktop (top of a bookcase) width of 13". The RX500 measures 17.5", but I'm hoping the rubber feet that it actually sits on might fit onto the 13" desktop. I can't seem to get an answer on the feet dimensions from Epson. Would someone who has one please measure the rubber feet distances for me!What I did in a similar situation is buy a 2x2 piece of 1/4" plywood and cut off the ends about 3" on each side and then glue them to the top at right angles, thus giving me a 2 foot by 18 inch piece that is 3 inches above the table. The scanner is on top and I put my spare 120 gigabyte drive underneath. sam

Martha Lyle
17 June 2005, 07:12 PM
Thank you so much for your help! I just ordered the RX500! Can't wait for it to get here. Y'all are the greatest!
Martha

Janice
18 June 2005, 10:13 PM
...that the RX500 doesn't do faxing.

Hi Steve, I originally thought that also until I found where Epson buried it. Next time you go to PRINT something, look at the options at the bottom= [Preview] [Save as PDF] [FAX] [Cancel] [Print]
I accidently saw it; have used it & it works; however, there is no log to keep track of what you sent (there is a website that does--but lost it in my 1.5 yr old HD crash!!). You cannot receive FAX's, which is fine with me; I just need to send some once in a while. Got my printer 2/04.

Steve W. Jackson
20 June 2005, 06:55 PM
Hi Steve, I originally thought that also until I found where Epson buried it. Next time you go to PRINT something, look at the options at the bottom= [Preview] [Save as PDF] [FAX] [Cancel] [Print]
I accidently saw it; have used it & it works; however, there is no log to keep track of what you sent (there is a website that does--but lost it in my 1.5 yr old HD crash!!). You cannot receive FAX's, which is fine with me; I just need to send some once in a while. Got my printer 2/04.
That button is provided by Mac OS X Tiger. It allows you to fax using the built-in facilities of the Mac OS rather than your Epson RX500. Fax capabilities were built into Mac OS X starting in Panther (10.3), though I've never used them. I don't let a phone line near my PowerBook -- it's always had a diet of high-speed cable Internet access only!! :)

= Steve =