PDA

View Full Version : Quaker Dates

metfordplatt
08 June 2005, 06:54 PM
This has probably been talked about before, but I did a quick search in the archives and came up empty.

From time to time I get a Quaker date. For instance we know 1st day of 7th month is September 1st, xxxx, and not July 1st. As many researchers over the years might incorrectly put in July 1st, does anyone have a suggestion of entering a Quaker date so it shows up as 1d 7m xxxx instead of having Reunion recognize it as 1 Jul xxxx.

Michel

Bob Carroll
12 June 2005, 12:32 PM
From time to time I get a Quaker date. For instance we know 1st day of 7th month is September 1st, xxxx, and not July 1st. As many researchers over the years might incorrectly put in July 1st, does anyone have a suggestion of entering a Quaker date so it shows up as 1d 7m xxxx instead of having Reunion recognize it as 1 Jul xxxx.These are Julian calendar dates used by all in UK & Colonies thru 1752. Quakers were just more likely to record the month number instead of name to avoid other Gods, eg Janus. In Reunion, enter date as recorded , 1d 7m., tab or enter, will get you "Custom Date" box; enter equivalent "new system" date; it will save both forms. I always put the new system (Gregorian) in the event "memo", so others will know. After the Sept 1752 changeover, some Quaker meetings began using the new month numbers immediately, others did not for a while.
Search web for "Gregorian calendar" for details.

metfordplatt
14 June 2005, 11:21 AM
Thanks Bob, that worked like a charm. No, I did know about the calendar change and whatnot, but I didn't know how to enter the Q dates in Reunion, so I wanted to keep them "intact" so to speak. In my Quaker dates I am leaving them as I find them. I had them in the Memos first, and had them converted on the events section, but it just bothered me. I knew there must be a Reunion way of doing it, and now it is done. I have dates like 13 5m 1760 which I am leaving as is (which gives 13 May 1760 in the "sort" dates).

As you mentioned, some Q dates did not change right away after the calendar change. It is also confusing that there were a couple of old dates in Holland I had (although Q's were rare there). Now everything looks tidier.

I am grateful for your help. Michel